• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help requested for EL84 SET amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
my home-built EL84 SET Amp is way to low when I feed it with new model JJ EL84 or Russian EL84 equivalents (6N14N-EB), and I'd like to figure out why.
With old-stock EL84/E84L of European manufacture there are no problems. I get around 1.2 watt driving my AER-drivers in a back-loaded horn to more then satisfying levels. pic on flicr
Since my electronics knowledge is quite basic I am looking once again for help from this marvelous community of experts.
Can anybody figure out why this amp is playing (guessed) 18db lower with those 6n14n-eb valves?
Schematics are attached.
thanks, Dieter

Attachments

• tmt endstufe.spl.pdf
    60.4 KB · Views: 217
R8 is the grid leak resistor. 1M is the max specified for cathode bias for an EL84. This resistor leaks away any charge on the control grid. The temporary fix above can be done with a couple of clip leads and another resistor, say 500k-1M, in parallel. As mentioned above, measure the DC voltage on the control grid to see if this is the issue. If it is not 0 volts, it may be a grid leak problem.

thx.
I think I found the problem. As I am not at home I looked at the pictures very closely. It looks like I soldered the grid resistor onto Pin 1 and not Pin 2 as it is supposed to be.
I made that mistake when replacing the original run-of-the-mill parts with naked foil and mills resitors.

Funny that it works at all with old-stock EL84s still some with the newer ones.

On the EL84 pin 1 is marked as IC - internal connection. This means that it should not be used externally. In practice it seems that many NOS EL84s connect this to pin 2 - no problem, but not to be relied on. You accidentally relied on this connection. It seems that some modern amp manufacturers rely on this connection not being there, and use pin 1 as a spare tag - they get problems when NOS are used.

My explanation of gas is thus incorrect. It was grid current, but only tiny amounts - you don't need much current to generate 16V across an open circuit!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.