Edcor and Custom Power Transformer Design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2011, 09:45 PM   #1
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thumbs down Edcor and Custom Power Transformer Design

I requested a quote from Edcor today for a pair of custom power transformers and made the mistake of asking for an electro-static shield which they don't offer. No explanation as to why they can't offer said shield, but more to the point the response was terse to the point of being a bit rude IMHO, and given the lack of effort in the response given I feel that they weren't taking my request for a quote seriously.

I would have expected as a minimum something along the lines of: "While we don't offer that feature as an option we can offer the transformer sans electro-static shield and would be happy to discuss this further with you." Or even just quote with a brief apology?? How hard is that and how much time does it actually take?? (Since I used to sell and specify power transformers I know the answer to that. A rhetorical question.)

What do you think?
Old 13th May 2011, 09:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Looks like we made too much of a noise around them, so they are overloaded by orders.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I had a similar experience in obtaining a quote from them for a decent quantity of power xfmrs, chokes, and OPTs. The difference was, I actually got a quote, but when the specs were finally nailed down, and it was time to place the order, I could not get a callback. I had to start the process over and go with a different vendor.
Old 14th May 2011, 03:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The last several times I ordered, I got Phyllis on the phone, without any issues. The last order was for some raw end bells and 16 of the little plastic flanged spacers for the end-bell bolts, which are not listed anywhere.

She surmised that I was putting the end-bells on some other transformers and was slightly reserved when I told her they were to "dress up" some Hammonds; but she took the order and shipped everything no problem.
Old 14th May 2011, 04:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

That stinks. I would go right to the top man. I'd write a letter to the president of Edcor and explain to him what you've told us. That's what presidents are there for. Make it sound like you were really given the bum's rush and name names if you can. Send it certified directly to the persident. You should be able to find his name from a search. Maybe even call them and get the name from the operator. Then let us know.
Old 14th May 2011, 05:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

His name is Barak, but what's he got to do with it?

Old 14th May 2011, 05:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

bear in mind that a business like this gets thousands of requests for information and quotes that just go nowhere. The majority of them are requests for things that the firm doesn't can't or won't do and that they advise elsewhere they don't can't or won't do.

From time to time the low-wage individual whose job it is to answer these requests does get terse. Fridays late in the afternoon and the like.

If you figure you can do it better, perhaps there is a business opening for you?
Old 14th May 2011, 09:29 AM   #8
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I hope they are not going the way of other manufacturers!

They either get over confident and raise there prices until they go out of business, or just go under with financial pressure!

Doesn’t sound good does it!

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 14th May 2011, 09:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Looks like we made too much of a noise around them, so they are overloaded by orders.
Was that a double pun? Or were you trying to induce a secondary response.
Old 14th May 2011, 12:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I requested the exact same thing from Edcor as you did a few weeks back, and I did get a response, friendly, telling me they cannot do e-shields. There was an offer to do an overall shield on the outside, which wasn't really what I was interested in. Disappointing that this is the case, as Edcor could provide exactly what I want in any number of designs, but I no longer will build an audio amp without the e-shield.

I would cut them some slack; I tend to agree with Wavebourn that they are likely busier than ever given their low prices and decent quality reputation.

FWIW, I have had even poorer response over some 'higher end' suppliers of custom transformers. I won't mention the name, but it should be obvious when I am done explaining. I requested a single secondary power transformer with e-shield, simple enough. Specified input/output voltage and required current. Since I tend to over-spec my equipment, all I wanted to know was what the DC resistances of each winding would be. I got a reply nearly in tirade about DCR, and how it is impossible to spec. I replied, "dude, I'm not asking you build it with a specific target value, I only want to know what the ballpark number will be when you are done building. Based on turns ratio, V/turn the manufacturer chooses, and magnet wire size, you can know approximately how much length of wire you will use, therefore what the ballpark DCR will be".

Again, nasty response. I was told turns ratio is meaningless in a transformer (yes, that's right) and if I thought I was so smart designing a transformer, I should build my own. But because he was building xfmrs for 20+ years, and they work, therefore his methods are correct. And on and on.

Personally, as one who manages technicians in a technical field, I do NOT buy into the "I've been doing this for 20 years" argument. And while I have purchased decent transformers from this guy before, the lack of friendly service and competence in basic transformer design turns me away.

The options are getting more and more limited, unfortunately.

Hide this!Advertise here!