• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Extreme plate load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't understand the problem here. Either a Supertex DN2540 or an IXYS IXCP10M45 will give a dynamic (at audio frequencies) load to the device in the high megohms or low tens of megohms for a couple dollars.

/thread.

Poinz

It's for an active load for an 808 with 700 volts on the plate. B+ was suggested at 1000V but I would allow a little headroom.

At 20 KHz these devices are all in the megohm range. 1pF is 8M ohms at 20 KHz

Fortunately I doubt an active load above a megohm is needed for a power output stage.

Cheers,

Michael

hey-Hey!!!,
A battery biased pentode with a large cathode resistor will do nicely. I am not certain it will make your impedance, but you can also stack up a pentode on top of a triode( which would also be battery biased to deliver a large cathode'r_set resistance ). There are other ways to bias, but your voltage requirement might tax the simpler ones. It can also deliver mu-follower output Z; so to say much lower than the anode you're seeking to load.

I've done this at about half your voltage and current scale for a linestage and was quite pleased with the results.
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.