Best SET design? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2011, 06:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best SET design?

What is the best SET design?
Put the tubes aside and focus just on the Topology!
Interstage Transformer/Coupling cap
Input transformer/Input cap
Choke loaded?
Auto-bias/fixed bias?
Pentode driver/srpp?(Something that can move a 300B or 6c33)
Old 9th May 2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

mmmm ... this is an ill-posed problem (strict mathematical meaning)
Old 9th May 2011, 06:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

yawnies... Why do people pose such inane queries?

It could be worth pursuing as a "what are the advantages / disadvantages of the various topologies" but the concept of a "best" is immature surely?

My apologies if we are just dealing with a language issue.

Last edited by aardvarkash10; 9th May 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 9th May 2011, 06:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
yawnies... Why do people pose such inane queries?

It could be worth pursuing as a "what are the advantages / disadvantages of the various topologies" but the concept of a "best" is immature surely?

My apologies if we are just dealing with a language issue.
) You are evil-ish.

No the question is simple. I might get lost in translation here and there but I think that there are a couple of people out there who tried all the topologies and have at least a vague opinion about what is better than what.

My goal is to build the most transparent SET amp i can.

Topology is vital. You will rather tell the diffrence between 2 topologies that between 2 MKP caps.

For me Best=most transparent.
Old 9th May 2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Account disabled at member's request

This thread is complete nonsense.
Please shut it down!
Old 9th May 2011, 07:12 PM   #6
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I suggest using transparent acrylic or museum quality glass for the chassis. Clearly this will result in the most transparent amp. You may want to hide the transformers in a separate sub-chassis as they'll impede the flow of photons through the chassis, thereby, reducing transparency.

Your question makes as much sense as trying to decide which flavor of ice cream to buy by asking everybody, "what's your favorite flavor". Mine is chocolate, by the way. Or coffee... Mmm..... Coffee.

~Tom
Old 9th May 2011, 07:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I see that there is a "i know it all" syndrome around here.

What is stupind in asking what is better: an interstage transformer, or a coupling cap?
Where is the none-sense?
About interstage transformers:
"This means that you can do something very different, and that is run the interstage with no load on the secondary. You have a driver valve, the interstage, and then the output valve, nothing else apart from your bias components and of course the power supply. This means that the driver valve is running essentially into an AC infinite impedance (well very, very high anyway) at audio frequencies, which in modern parlance translates as constant current operation; the loadline is horizontal. To a driver triode, that means lower distortion, and maximum voltage swing, swing that can exceed the HT supply rail. This cannot happen with one of the funky, complex stacked systems often seen as clever constant current loads; things like SRPP or the mu follower."

Audio Note Kits - Interstage Coupled Amps

Enjoy your coffee Tom. I'll drink mine in 8 hours.
Old 9th May 2011, 07:51 PM   #8
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmmm....
I am with rvrazvan on this one. There are many threads regarding the "best" capacitor, resistor, transformer, tubes and so on. The only difference is that these are single components. Non-the-less, opinions are given freely, like chocolate vs coffee.

I don't think the OP is asking for a definitive single answer, rather a collection of opinions, hopefully with some rationals, so he may cogitate on them and come to his own conclusion. It is not a stupid question or request, just a difficult one.

BTW, I am jealous. Lactose intolerance makes it only possible for me to enjoy my coffee hot. I miss coffee ice cream....
Old 9th May 2011, 07:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
You are asking for best design, but offer already pre-supposed means to get "best parts" for the certain design that is not necessary the best. Like, presence of coupling caps and interstage transformer, for example. Pentode/triode. All parts when present and used can fit in best (I mean optimal) design, but they may be absent in another best design. According to my own preferences, the design have to be optimal all together, including selection of parts and topology. Like a tight knot that is optimal and functional when completed, all together, nothing to add/nothing to remove. If to change anything, it will be just another knot. May be no less as functional. Like, fancy-coiled bulk rope may be used instead of a knot, but I doubt it would be optimal, and I would not call it "the best".
Old 9th May 2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Account disabled at member's request

I don't think this is the place to ask questions the way you do....
Why don't you read (and learn) on the subject first?
My guess, at least I hope so, is that the majority of forum members make their orientations before coming up with questions, suggestions and so on.
This is important to keep the quality of this forum at a reasonable level.
With your questions you induce a senseless discussion IMHO.

Hide this!Advertise here!