• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anybody ever tried EBC41 as 12AX7 substitute?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
By coincidence, I got a quad of EBC41 manufactured by Mullard in the 50's, by judging their EVM code. What is surprising to me is that they have much similarity to Mullard's 12AX7 made in mid-50's, for example, D-getter and half-vaporized gas absorber. It is actually a single triode, and the triode is shielded by a metal mesh like that in an early Mullard's EF86. I examined its PDF mannual and found that it is originally designed for radio receiver application, but its linearity, as shown by the mannual, is equal to or even slightly better than that of a 12AX7, particularly at relatively low working point. I just wonder if there's any audiophile has ever tried it as a replacement (indirect, for its structure and pin layout) for 12AX7, and how's the outcome?

This appears to be the same characteristics as EBC90/6AT6, so same valve on a different base. Designing a new valve was hard work in the days before computers, so a successful design was simply repackaged on different bases. Also made things easier for the circuit designer, who also did not have a computer.

It also looks remarkably similar to the octal 6Q7, so the same circuit can be used with three generations of valves. EBC81 too, and possibly EBC21.

I once tried EBC91 which has ECC83 triode section. Worked well, but huge spread in dynamic (µ) and static (-Ug) parameters in my batch.
These tube were designed for consumer radio equipment and weren't selected or matched.
I have to nice old wooden tube radios using them and that's exactly where they belong. I can't stand words like "audiophile" or something for tubes like this.

The Mullard maintenance manual (circa 1956) suggests that the EBC41 is very similar though not identical to the ECC83, no similarity at all to the ECC81. As has been pointed out it is also even more like the EBC90, or DH77 as I tend to think of them. I haven`t heard an amp using the EBC41 but the old EMI TR50 amp using a DH77 and N78 made a very nice sound with a reasonably efficient speaker.

Barry

I've gathered 4 Valvo metal-based, 4 Mullard glass-based and 2 Telefulken glass-based, and also 5 Telefulken glass-based EBC81 which is akin to EBC41. I plan to build a Jadis JP80 preamp by using these tubes in stead of 12AX7。Perhaps as the_manta pointed out, matching would be a challenge. Anyway I'd like to have a try, as it would be very costly to find 12AX7 made in this age by these shining brands.

Better late than never.

I had two Philips disc jockey record players one with the ebc41 and the other one modified to take the 12AX7 where the ebc41 should be, the inside label also states the valve in the socket is an ebc41 other then the socket change i can not see any other mods and both players worked fine, which indicates they are indirectly compatible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.