• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

sizing opt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am winding a pair of output transformers for my gu50 amp and was wondering if using a solid state amp, like my Leach, for the bass extension to 250 hz and below would help to make the tube amp transformer smaller. I have chosen a core which should be suitable for all of the music frequency, however if I limit it to 250 hz and above the overall load should be dramatically reduced. I have read somewhere that tube output transformers operating in the 80 hz and below range need to be quite robust. Something like twice the power output for each halving of frequency.
The math for this project has gotten to a point where it is no longer FUN.
I like to build things that others with more patients have already worked the bugs out of. I believe I have a very sound layout from Christl Ludwig in Germany I just do not want to screw this design up. Most of the discrete elements have been sourced and purchased including the transformer cores, tubes, sockets and misc. resistors and caps.
Being my first, EVER, tube project I am quite reluctant to just jump in.
Mistakes are much more expensive in tubes than solid state. Along with the relatively limited supply of materials. Solid state components are available everywhere and at surplus prices. Not so tubes. Especially the iron.

Tad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.