• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help, Diy tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build my first amp. I would like a stereo tube amp kit to start with. I am after a kit that contains all the parts so i can have every thing on hand and instruction for my first time. can any one help. i have seen the 300b that looks nice but very costly.
Thanks
Todd

I want to build my first amp. I would like a stereo tube amp kit to start with. I am after a kit that contains all the parts so i can have every thing on hand and instruction for my first time. can any one help. i have seen the 300b that looks nice but very costly.
Thanks
Todd

Things we need to know:

What is your budget?

What is your prior skill level with kits?

What will you use this for (music, home theater, how loud)?

What speakers do you plan to drive?

What are your expectations?

Do a search for Pete Millets engineers amp. The basic transformer set is available from Edcor and the tubes are available for a fair price. Yes it is a PP amp but you will enjoy the triode connected outputs. The board is available off of fleebay for around $50 US. If you use 6GV5, 6JM6, 6JN6 outputs they are rated at 18 watts dissipation or the larger 6LB6, 6LF6 etc... that are rated 35 watts. Output power has a wide range depending on the iron selected. If you want more power, just up the B+ and use larger output iron.... Enjoy

Here's a beginners kit, the K502, everything except the chassis. Need to check it matches Aussie mains voltage. It's starting to get a bit dear though.

Find kits in the left hand menu then go to audio for the K502.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Personally I would find an old valve amp console and refurbish it while your swotting up on theory. An EL84 or ECL86 push pull amp would be ideal for rebuilding later to a modern design. In the long run this would be the cheapest option IMHO.

HTH Bill

Last edited:
a reply to Loren42

What is your budget? still working on that under $500 aud would be good.

What is your prior skill level with kits? none. but i am a tradie and am good with my hands

What will you use this for (music, home theater, how loud)? music

What speakers do you plan to drive? VAF DC-7 G4MKII and some diy speakers eg Zigmahornet.

What are your expectations? Low for now, i want to get my hands dirty first and understand it all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.