• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Low voltage 12AU7 (19J6) -- re "starving"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
when I built this the THD% using the 12AU7 model I have simmed the same as the one I breadboarded. I've used LED's on the cathode for a number of SY designs but here you are really constrained by low plate voltage:

Attachments

• Starving_1.GIF
    Starving_1.GIF
    7 KB · Views: 823
You probably won't have much distortion from the diode (that's something I've never been able to measure in a wide variety of circuits), but you may very well have unexpected distortion from grid current, which usually doesn't show up in sims. Many tubes of that class start showing significant grid current at Vgk < 1V or so.

Sorry, I misread the data. 6.44mV of signal across the diode is pk-pk, not pk or RMS. However, that would still give a few % of 2nd? (assuming a diode behaves something like a BJT Vbe? Vsig pk = THD 2nd % ?) Would be reduced because it is only a small part of the total signal. So 3.2mV gives 3.2% 2nd, but the diode signal is only 3.2% of the total so I make that about 0.1% 2nd due to the diode.

If the valve model includes grid current (some do, some don't) then you can check for distortion from this by adding some impedance to your signal source.

Tony said:
I realise that with the forward biased diode, you are limited to an input voltage of 0.7 volts peak if you are to avoid getting the grid in positive region
No, fortunately it is better than that. Most of the signal is developed across the grid-cathode so the diode only sees a fraction.

However, it is not the grid going positive you need to worry about. As SY says, grid current can start well before that. I seem to recall that the books warn that positive grid current can start anywhere between -1.5V and -0.5V, and the threshold varies not only from valve to valve (even of the same type) but can also change with ageing. I try never to have a grid more positive than -1V.

OK, I straightened out the SIM by using the Leach models and setting the coefficients such that the VI curves look like the 19J6 datasheet.

With the diode and the sections of the 19J6 in parallel, the THD% was 0.31%, with a 2K resistor per the Starving Student schema it was 0.052%

We're constrained by the 48V supply. Even more constrained by 19J6 becoming unobtanium.

If you are very patient 19J6 appear on ebay from time to time, but who wants to wait a year before building an amp? You could consider UCC84 (or possibly UCC85), although these are not too common either. They are European 100mA heater valves, with E (6.3V) and P (300mA) versions too. The '85 is almost the same as a 12AT7, apart from the addition of a screen and different heater. The '84 was intended for cascode, so should be OK at low anode volts.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I'll call it the "Ascetic Student" as it's starving but dignified.

I don't know, it doesn't sound good to me. Starving but dignified belongs more to the 'artistic' family. An ascetic would never say 'I'm starving' (too proud for that) whereas artist and students have no problem declaring themselves so. Besides, ascetics are more masters than students.

Another point to have in mind is that an ascetic would probably have no need for a tube preamp.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I don't think ascetics have a humble opinion of themselves but it's true they're skinny. The 'starving' tag, nah, they wouldn't like it. An ascetic would look you in the eye and smile, knowing he's well fed. Spiritual richness makes you pretty wide.

Of course this has nothing to do with the name of your amp (it's your call).

Made a couple of changes -- R1 =55k, R5 = 2k2, R3 =110k. Did away with the CCS. The output cap is an Elna Silk 220uF/50V, the coupling cap that shown in the design 0f 100nF.

Changing R3 biased up the MOSFET a bit higher, while loading the amplifier a bit more. Gain is 19dB. The 5% THD is ~5V out.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The above is with the 20EZ7 -- filament voltage is spot on at 20V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.