• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

current feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought I had posted here asking about current feedback (for use in current source power amp) but I can't seem to find it. I remember someone suggesting adding extra resistance in the output tube's cathode for additional cathode degeneration. I was also thinking about using an approach similar to Schade but taken from the output pentode's cathode and summed at the grid of the driver. Like Schade the stage before the driver would need to have stable and rather large Zout of course but initial simulations seem to be promising.

Something like this is what I have in mind.

attachment.php

I set the voltage source to 68k Z out in order to simulate a previous tube stage. The simulation seems to indicate that it works to reduce HD. Unfortunately it seems to be primarily HD2 that is reduced with much less effect on HD 3 and HD5. However, I don't fully trust distortion results from a sym. And in any case it should also be increasing Zout too which is what we want in this case.

Any thoughts on this approach

Attachments

• CurrentFB.png
    CurrentFB.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 393
Bear in mind that for a tetrode/pentode output you are not sensing the output current. Negative feedback controls what you sample, in this case the cathode current. For small signals the cathode and anode currents will be roughly proportional, but when negative peaks send the anode down below the screen you will get a kick in g2 current so the proportionality will be lost. If you want low distortion output current then use a triode, or use triode connection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.