• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6AM4 driving 45???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

The 6AM4 is great for phono preamps but it is not very suitable for a driver tube in a power amp IMHO.

Check the plate curves:

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/093/6/6AM4.pdf

The cathode resistor chosen and B+ will not yield the voltages as indicated in your schematic. It would run in a very non linear region and thus dominate the sound of the amp.

Best regards ... Thomas

Hi!

No that is not too much to ask, But as I meantioned: different people have different opinions what would be better. As I mentioned I think the circuit is inferior. I would use a different driver which will not produce as much distortion and which would have more headroom. But this would lead to a completely different circuit which you have not heard yet. At the end you might not like it.

Best regards

Thomas

Just want to see if it can be improved... Hope that's not too much to ask :confused:

Not too much to ask. The 6AM4 isn't ideal for that application. There are some things you can do:

*) Ditch that 22K passive plate load, and replace with an active (CCS) plate load. Linearity and output swing both improve. 22K is really too much load for a high-u type triode.

*) Ditch that 100uF cathode bypass capacitor so that you can set it up for gNFB. If you have a good open loop design, you can always improve it with gNFB. If you don't want to do that, replace the cathode bias resistor with one or more LEDs to set the bias voltage.

Thanks Miles for the tip. I will try to figure how to do the 2 items that you've suggested. I could only follow the already design to put something together but when it comes to design etc..., i am really clueless. Will ask around to see how that can be done. Thanks again.

*) Ditch that 100uF cathode bypass capacitor so that you can set it up for gNFB. If you have a good open loop design, you can always improve it with gNFB. If you don't want to do that, replace the cathode bias resistor with one or more LEDs to set the bias voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.