• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Genalex KT88 Plate Dissipation Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just received a new set of Genalex Gold Lion KT88s.

I am looking for the recommended plate dissipation for these tubes. Current B+ is about 505 to 510 VDC.

The cathode has a 10.16Ω*resistor and I measure the voltage across that resistor. That voltage is now set to 0.567 VDC.

I calculate the plate current as follows:

P (watts) = (505 VDC * .567 VDC) / 10.16Ω = 28 Watts

So I think that seems like a good target, but wanted to hear form others using this tube where they recommend to set them.

The amp is a home brew Williamson design using Edcore output transformers in ultralinear configuration.

Bias is fixed bias. I'll see if I can post a schematic.

I was using Ruby tubes, but one of them malfunctioned and its current dropped to zero. So, I had an excuse to order some Gold Lions and they arrived this afternoon and they are now burning in with the plate dissipation set to 28 Watts. ;-)

Last edited:
Your operating plate voltage would be a little down from 505V due to OT primary resistive drop. Your operating anode current would be a little down on cathode current due to idle screen current. They may reduce your actual plate dissipation by about 5-10% from what you initially calculated.

Thanks! Yeah, that makes sense. I just wanted to get a feel if others are in agreement with my target dissipation.

I should measure the actual voltage on the plates when I get a chance, but I think it is very close to the 505 VDC figure.

Genalex rates these at 35 Watts maximum. I don't know what the new version of these tubes really are rated for, but 28 should be a safe bet, I would think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.