• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Very Cheap Valve preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
VALVE PREAMP KIT: Hear valve sound by connecting this stereo all-valve preamplifier to your existing equipment. Uses two 6J6 double triode valves. Safe kit, as it only uses about 60V for high tension rail. Can be used at line level with guitar amplifiers, hi fi, recording equipment and mixers. Requires 12V / 1A AC power supply. Kit includes a suitable plastic case. PCB: 154 x 89mm.

PUBLISHED: Electronics Australia Magazine September 1996.

KIT PRICE: (K055) $66

It uses 6J6 at low voltage 60V. I don't know about that tube.
Strange that it should have 12VAC as supply ....

I am not sure I would chose this one.
As you say the price is low.
Maybe good for to start with, experimenting,
and maybe you can tweak it a bit.

halo

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Would this valve preamplifier be suitable as a headphone amp?

Not likely, output impedance is rather too high.

If you look at the circuit you'll also notice the tubes have hardly any gridbias which means they're being driven positive with a CDP as line source already.

Halo,

The 12V AC is simply the two 6.3V heaters wired in series.
The 6J6 is the same as the European ECC91...not exactly an audio tube in my book.

Cheers,;)

Hi all,

I know this is a really old post, but I am desperately trying to track down a copy of the K055.PDF from Oatley Electronics that has the schematic for this 6j6 preamp as mentioned in the first post.

Oatley dont have it anymore and can't get it off their website even with wayback machine/archive.org.

If anyone has a copy and can help it would be very appreciated.

Cheers,
Anzic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.