• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Would this be worthwile restoring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Found this in the garage....

I wonder if it is worth restoring, the wire insulation is mostly perished, but otherwise it looks ok, just DIRTY.

Any help in identifying would be welcomed too...
On the face is a Mullard badge.

Attachments

• IMG_4762.jpg
    IMG_4762.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_4764.jpg
    IMG_4764.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_4763.jpg
    IMG_4763.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_4768.jpg
    IMG_4768.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4767.jpg
    IMG_4767.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_4766.jpg
    IMG_4766.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_4770.jpg
    IMG_4770.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4772.jpg
    IMG_4772.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 103
Cool looking device. If multiband, even cooler. Not hifi, obviously,but low fi has its nostalgic appeal.
You're tubes are probably fine, but the electrolytic caps will all have to be replaced. There are a lot of antique radio clubs and websites, probably get more help than here.
The trouble with AM radios in the western hemisphere is that talk radio has taken over the AM band, blah blah blah blah. The antique radio clubs need to buy KRLD AM Dallas or WLW Chicago, and simulcast WFMT FM classical all night on a clear AM channel. I used to love KRLD AM Dallas classical in the sixties, doing homework in Houston. Here if you are driving a classic car west of Abilene, you get nothing but country, country, crying in my beer, missing you honny. Yeah, there is satellite radio, but they require a direct drip from your artery (credit card) and I don't do that. Their billing operating is 10 miles from my house, but they won't take cash a year in advance. ***** 'em. West of Abilene I just sing to my myself. I sing better than all those country artists anyway, I'm just not as bearded or tall.

Last edited:
Phono input, whoa! A mono record player. It will never go out of style! I wonder if BBC news still broadcasts on shortwave? We get them here on the FM public service station midnight to 6am, interesting if you are working maintenance and need something to stay awake. Cool your capacitor still turns, I have an early 2 transistor radio with a stuck tuning capacitor.

OK, I managed to get the assembly out of the box in one piece.
Trying to identify some of the components are hard though...

Like what is this gyrating disconbobulator, hanging from a spring in a can doing in there? It seems to have some perished foam stuff in the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_4775_2.jpg
    IMG_4775_2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4778_2.jpg
    IMG_4778_2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 86
OK, I managed to get the assembly out of the box in one piece.
Trying to identify some of the components are hard though...

Like what is this gyrating disconbobulator, hanging from a spring in a can doing in there? It seems to have some perished foam stuff in the bottom.

That would be a Stromberg carburetor, from a 1934 Ford.

Quite a find, you have there........ :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.