• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Historic Tube Amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a link to some articles and catalogs from the 50's that may be of interest. They are high res pdf files, so may take a bit of time to download.

These tube amps were designed by Hafler and Keroes before there was a Dynaco:

* A pre-Dynaco designed Ultra-Linear Tube Amp by David Hafler
* A Williamson Amplifer by Herb Keroes
* Dynaco introduces the center channel speaker connection
* A catalog of transformers and tube amp designs, ca. 1950

Here's the link:
Update My Dynaco

I'll bring this thread back to life, partly to say I just linked to your site djoffe (if that is ok?) as part of a compendium of references for the Williamson amplifier (Dalmura Pty Ltd website by Robbins family in Melbourne, Australia. genealogy, symons, willington, leggett, rockbeare, shirehampton, bet bet, amplifier, valve, tim robbins), and partly to ask if anyone has a copy of or could possibly scan it for me:

- The "Williamson Type" Amplifier Brought Up to Date - by M. V. Kiebert from August 1952 in Audio Eng,

- August 1949, RADIO-ELECTRONICS (a design for a complete high fidelity tuner-amplifier)

Ciao, Tim

Mullard Circuits!

Hi!

This link is to a great collection of circuits in a book put out by Mullard, first appearing in 1959:

This link is lousy premium - surely this book must be out of copyright by now! Every link I can find has been made private or deleted!!!

tonicamps.com had a link but it was corrupted with only 33MB out of the 51MB available!

Has anyone got a working link to this 51MB file please? I'd buy a paper one from Abebooks but every copy seems to have migrated to lousy Australia and I can't afford all that postage!

Chris Williams

I'll bring this thread back to life, partly to say I just linked to your site djoffe (if that is ok?) as part of a compendium of references for the Williamson amplifier (Dalmura Pty Ltd website by Robbins family in Melbourne, Australia. genealogy, symons, willington, leggett, rockbeare, shirehampton, bet bet, amplifier, valve, tim robbins), and partly to ask if anyone has a copy of or could possibly scan it for me:

- The "Williamson Type" Amplifier Brought Up to Date - by M. V. Kiebert from August 1952 in Audio Eng,

- August 1949, RADIO-ELECTRONICS (a design for a complete high fidelity tuner-amplifier)

Ciao, Tim

Tim,
Did you ever get a copy of this - if not, P.M me and I'll drag a scanned copy of the Triode Mafia Bookshelf for you.
Cheers,
Ian

Has anyone else modified a Williamson per this article?
I had a pair of Heath W-2's or W-3's (whichever model that came with the Acrosound TO-300 OPT). They were a curb-find when I was 12 years old. I had them playing nicely 2-3 weeks after I found them.
One of my mentors/neighbors had a small lab in his garage and even had test equipment! One night we put them on his bench and surveyed their performance using his HP audio generator, square wave generator, AC VTVM, distortion analyzer, scope etc.
It was as much a mentoring session in the use and application of test & measurement equipment as it was a performance test for the Heath amps.

While my "cobbled together with 1950 RCA B&W TV parts" Heath amps sounded great to my then 13 year old ears, I decided I wanted to build my own stereo Williamson amp from scratch.
I built a stereo version based on the exact circuit in this article.
My mentor took it to a meeting of the HiFi club at Bell Labs. He said it was a big hit with everyone there and he'd had two members ask him to build one for them. That was before he told everyone that his 13 year old neighbor had built it..
The two members that wanted one built took my # and I did end up building amps for them. One of the guys was my neighbor's boss. He added me to his account at the local electronic parts distributor and let me sign for anything I needed. The other was a co-worker of my neighbor. He gave me a bunch of WE catalogs and cut-sheets to develop a list for him for the "company store". Everyone whom worked there had (if they so desired) a personal account at the parts counter, which they were encouraged to make use of. They could get anything WE made for any sort of project they wanted to build. The cost was something like 85% discounted and was deducted from their paycheck. His amp had WE output xformers, a WE power xformer and 3 WE chokes, as well as WE350A output tubes. He got an extra set of xformers for me as compensation for the work of building his amp.
The other guy gave me $50, which was the most money I'd ever had up until then. While we were listening to his new amp he handed me a folded bill, which I assumed was a $20 and with which I was very happy. When I discovered it was a $50 I was shocked!
I still have that set of WE xformers and chokes. They've been in and out of at least a dozen other amp builds over the last 38 years.
I also have the original chassis's from the Heath amps with the original power xformers and chokes on the PS chassis's. The Acrosound TO-300 output xformers are on the stereo Williamson which I also still have.
It still has the same set of KT66 output tubes. It still sounds great despite having all the original electrolytic caps in it

Given how hard it's been getting to find old gear it's hard to imagine ever again finding a pair of Heath W-2 (or W-3s) amps in someone's garbage, especially having a good set of UNBROKEN KT66's.

Did find something with the title you mentioned. However the author is different.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/jasiu/eka/wil/willimp.pdf

Old thread, but update is that Peter Stinson recently made contact and has provided an updated paper on the Williamson amplifier which is at:
Dalmura Pty Ltd

Also P.Paolo Ferrari has written a 460 page book in Italian on the history of D.T.N. Williamson, titled 1947 L’anno di D.T.N. Williamson, and published 2013 by Sandit.
www.audiovintagehifi.it - Powered by Euweb.it

It's great to see more historical content coming to light in recent years.

If anyone has access to Audio Facts, PF Index and Technical Digest, Jan-Feb 1952 - I would be keen to see the discussion on the Williamson amplifier.

Ciao, Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.