• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lageschaar hybrid-connection PSE-KT66

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PCM1798 why do you ask?

Just wondering, I ventured off on the whole, 3 way active speakers, active crossover (MiniDSP) multi-channel amp thing some time ago, and spent a far bit of money doing it, but cannot seem to improve, or possibly even match the sound I had when I was running the passive Lukasz Fikas P17 speakers though a cheap Zero Dac with a valve output stage. Unfortunately I killed the DAC trying to get rid of the low level noise the valve stage was injecting, I fried the circuit board some how & it is know at the tip. Somebody told me the active thing would be SO much easier, yeah right.:whacko:

For sometime now I have been thinking of going back to passive, think I would have only had to build a two channel amp.

So the interest in the DAC was about me thinking about going back to passive, good DAC, good amp, good passive crossover, good speakers, job done

About the sound of your old set isn't quite that controlled as with a active one.

The better sound is IMO not defined side effects and non linear response that you are used to listen to. And now low distortion with flat response doesn't sound like that old set.
If you would make it passive it will still be much better controlled loudspeakers than the old ones, it will not help you I am afraid. Maybe the low will bee less controlled by the passive components and maybe more natural sounding to you.

You can copy the old response with the mini-dsp to your new set and listen how that sounds.

The dac is from ebay.
CS8416 + PCM1798 24bit/192khz DAC KIT / DIY - eBay, Other, Home Audio, Electronics. (Eindtijd 09-mei-11 11:54:31 CEST)

Have you given it a run? Whats it like?

My MiniDSP is out of action for the moment, I am trying to convert it to 1x Digi 2 x DSP and am having some issues :)

I haven't listened to it I use a PCM1793 at the time it is great already the 1798 will be even better I hope.
Mini SPDIF+OPTICAL DAC Board -- PCM1793+DIR9001+OPA2134 - eBay, Other, Home Audio, Electronics. (Eindtijd 15-mei-11 06:49:28 CEST)
Mini1793 SPDIF DAC Board -PCM1793+DIR9001(Aluminum Box - eBay, Other, Home Audio, Electronics. (Eindtijd 18-mei-11 17:42:42 CEST)

Hmm, interesting, they look well made, I can feel another project coming on, six way DAC feed from miniDSP :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.