Lageschaar hybrid-connection PSE-KT66 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2011, 08:12 AM   #21
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
What is the DAC you are using.
PCM1798 why do you ask?

Last edited by Helmuth; 30th April 2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 30th April 2011, 11:06 AM   #22
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
PCM1798 why do you ask?
Just wondering, I ventured off on the whole, 3 way active speakers, active crossover (MiniDSP) multi-channel amp thing some time ago, and spent a far bit of money doing it, but cannot seem to improve, or possibly even match the sound I had when I was running the passive Lukasz Fikas P17 speakers though a cheap Zero Dac with a valve output stage. Unfortunately I killed the DAC trying to get rid of the low level noise the valve stage was injecting, I fried the circuit board some how & it is know at the tip. Somebody told me the active thing would be SO much easier, yeah right.

For sometime now I have been thinking of going back to passive, think I would have only had to build a two channel amp.

So the interest in the DAC was about me thinking about going back to passive, good DAC, good amp, good passive crossover, good speakers, job done
Old 30th April 2011, 11:10 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

So the PCM1798 refers to the Burr Brown chip, what is the rest of it, DIY?
Old 30th April 2011, 03:51 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

About the sound of your old set isn't quite that controlled as with a active one.

The better sound is IMO not defined side effects and non linear response that you are used to listen to. And now low distortion with flat response doesn't sound like that old set.
If you would make it passive it will still be much better controlled loudspeakers than the old ones, it will not help you I am afraid. Maybe the low will bee less controlled by the passive components and maybe more natural sounding to you.

You can copy the old response with the mini-dsp to your new set and listen how that sounds.

The dac is from ebay.
CS8416 + PCM1798 24bit/192khz DAC KIT / DIY - eBay, Other, Home Audio, Electronics. (Eindtijd 09-mei-11 11:54:31 CEST)
Old 30th April 2011, 11:04 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Have you given it a run? Whats it like?

My MiniDSP is out of action for the moment, I am trying to convert it to 1x Digi 2 x DSP and am having some issues
Old 1st May 2011, 07:00 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Have you given it a run? Whats it like?

My MiniDSP is out of action for the moment, I am trying to convert it to 1x Digi 2 x DSP and am having some issues
I haven't listened to it I use a PCM1793 at the time it is great already the 1798 will be even better I hope.
Mini SPDIF+OPTICAL DAC Board -- PCM1793+DIR9001+OPA2134 - eBay, Other, Home Audio, Electronics. (Eindtijd 15-mei-11 06:49:28 CEST)
Mini1793 SPDIF DAC Board -PCM1793+DIR9001(Aluminum Box - eBay, Other, Home Audio, Electronics. (Eindtijd 18-mei-11 17:42:42 CEST)
Old 1st May 2011, 07:26 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hmm, interesting, they look well made, I can feel another project coming on, six way DAC feed from miniDSP
Old 1st May 2011, 07:39 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm, interesting, they look well made, I can feel another project coming on, six way DAC feed from miniDSP
I would not advise this one because it is intended to be fed by a low cost asymmetric power-supply. I chanced it into symmetric power supply

Hide this!Advertise here!