• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

So what exactly do I have here? Heathcraft EA-2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I just "inherited" a pile of old electronics in the basement of my grandparents. My grandfather passed away several years ago but he built radio stations in his prime and owned several (WLET in Toccoa GA was my mom's favorite). My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and I was helping some family sort out what was left. I found several things in the basement but I think I'll post each item in their correct category after I figure out what to do with it.

I found this Heathcraft EA-2 and its complete as far as I can tell, right down to the instruction manuals. My grandfather and my uncle built the amp as a father/son project back in the late 50's but since it was a mono amp, it was stuck down in the basement in favor of stereo equipment. I have no idea if it works and I'd like some pointers on what I should do to test it before powering it on as I don't want to damage anything after it having sat for so long.

I don't think I'll be keeping this as I don't have much room in my tiny house and none of my other family has expressed any interest in the old equipment so I would love to figure out what kind of condition its in and then see that it goes to a collector or someone that will properly care for it and love it.

Anyway, here are some pictures. I can get more at your request. Where should I start?

DSCF0188.jpg

DSCF0189.jpg

DSCF0190.jpg

DSCF0191.jpg

DSCF0192.jpg

1. dust removal - dust can be a very good conductor and short circuit your equipment
2. check and replace caps if needed, electrolytic caps tend to dry out and blow up when powered up after long time

dust removal is pretty easy(no water) best weapon is compressed air, but if you are not willing to go along with replacing caps you are probably better of selling it as is with dire warnings not to power it up before caps are replaced

Well, if and when you get around to selling on eBay, make sure you get the name correct. It's HeathKIT, not HeathCRAFT. Mis-spelling the name virtually guarantees not getting the best price for it. I know as I've scored some pretty good deals by finding mis-labeled items.

Crap, I had a brainfart when I posted that. I had just gotten in from a 14 hour drive. Is there a way to edit that? I was wanting to knock off the worst of the dust. I was thinking of using a paint brush to get the worst of it and then getting into the nooks and crannies with a can of compressed air. I'm going to take off the top of the case later today to see just how dirty it is inside. I don't have a way to test or run the amp so I'll probably leave it as-is for the next owner, although I do know how to solder.

I don't have a way to test or run the amp so I'll probably leave it as-is for the next owner, although I do know how to solder.

That's the best plan IMO if you are going to sell it. Just have lots of pics and a clear description and you should get a decent price for it.
Selling thru a forum (here or Audiokarma, etc) is an alternative to eBay.
BTW, don't forget to remove the tubes and pack them in bubble wrap before shipping. Usually you can fit them inside the case for shipping.

I have access to a good camera so pictures won't be a problem. What is the best way to handle the tubes? Can I touch them or should I wear gloves so as to not leave any skin oils on them? I'm not a huge fan of selling stuff on eBay but an auction style sell would be nice as I really have no idea what to ask for this. I can only assume it works, or if it doesn't it probably would be an easy fix and it has the manuals and all the schematics.

I'm not going to mess with any of the internals then. I think I'm going to get some compressed air and a couple paint brushes to knock the dust off and take a bunch of pictures. I'll go ahead and post some up here for grins and chuckles but I'll probably post it for sale in the near future somewhere.

I live in Pittsburg KS and my grandparents' house is in Denver CO. They moved to CO in the 60's when my grandfather bought a different radio station.

If you're familiar with Toccoa, Craig Street is named after my grandfather and he was on the board of trustees for caring for Toccoa Falls, among other things.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.