• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is it OK to drill mounting holes in transformer laminations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got an S5 K-501 mono power transformer that I wanted to pretty up a bit. One idea I had was to remove the clamp-on mounting bracket and horizontally mount the transformer with a bell cap from Edcor. However, the laminations don't have any holes drilled in the corners. Would I cause any damage to the transformer if I drilled four mounting holes in the laminations (not the bobbin)? I'd be sure to tape up the lamination to avoid getting steel shavings from the drilling process lodged in the transformer.

Thanks!

-Derek

yep - there is every chance that you will end up shorting each of the laminations together and hence get the magnetic equivalent of just a block of iron instead of a laminated core.

I'd suggest its a whole lot easier to make some covers or under-mount the offending item.

Or in fact to just buy a prettier piece of iron - at those ratings and your location, they are comparatively cheap.

yep - there is every chance that you will end up shorting each of the laminations together and hence get the magnetic equivalent of just a block of iron instead of a laminated core.

I'd suggest its a whole lot easier to make some covers or under-mount the offending item.

Or in fact to just buy a prettier piece of iron - at those ratings and your location, they are comparatively cheap.

No idea what the ratings, etc. are on the transformer.

If drilling isn't an option, would epoxying the covers or otherwise gluing them in some manner cause any problems?

Thanks,

-Derek

I would likely have a minimal effect on the transformer. The metal screws that go into the laminations might get a bit warm because of extra losses in them compared to the laminations. You could use nylon screws. I am not sure if you can drill and tap the high silicon steel laminations so well, you would have to check that out.
Anyway nice question. I will try out your idea.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010

Derekva,

aardvarkash is correct. If you look at an Edcor Tx you will see small plastic insulators under the screws that go through the laminations.

The laminations are insulated from each other with an oxide coating. The screws "bolts" are put through the plastic insulators to stop connection with the laminations. If two of the bolts contact through the laminations you get a shorted turn. This is created by the bolts that would connect each side of the Tx to the other. If you drill and short the two sides "front & back" togeather the Tx wll over heat and burn out!

Even if it does work after the intial drilling you have to insulate the bolts from the Tx core. Your idea could trash the Tx. Then again its your Tx!

Regards
M. Gregg

I've got an S5 K-501 mono power transformer that I wanted to pretty up a bit. One idea I had was to remove the clamp-on mounting bracket and horizontally mount the transformer with a bell cap from Edcor. However, the laminations don't have any holes drilled in the corners. Would I cause any damage to the transformer if I drilled four mounting holes in the laminations (not the bobbin)? I'd be sure to tape up the lamination to avoid getting steel shavings from the drilling process lodged in the transformer.

Thanks!

-Derek

not a good idea, and certainly not with a hand drill,

more so if there are leads on either side of the coils...

Derekva,

aardvarkash is correct. If you look at an Edcor Tx you will see small plastic insulators under the screws that go through the laminations.

The laminations are insulated from each other with an oxide coating. The screws "bolts" are put through the plastic insulators to stop connection with the laminations. If two of the bolts contact through the laminations you get a shorted turn. This is created by the bolts that would connect each side of the Tx to the other. If you drill and short the two sides "front & back" togeather the Tx wll over heat and burn out!

Even if it does work after the intial drilling you have to insulate the bolts from the Tx core. Your idea could trash the Tx. Then again its your Tx!

Regards
M. Gregg

Understood.

Which brings me to my second question. Is there any risk in gluing / epoxying covers to the outside of the transformer? I would think not, but I was wrong about drilling (glad I asked about that).

Thank you,

-Derek

Derekva,

Regards
M. Gregg

Hellö,

Thanks for the information about the tx, but then I have a question I have a tx made ​​by an European manufacturers. It is welded through all laminates the tx gets hot, are this is due to welding or is it designed to be welded.

K.A.B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.