• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Amplifier Problem - Need help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I use an 845 Tube based power amplifier and just got a brand new SS preamp to replace an ARC.
I am encountering a strange problem. When I take the volume control past 46 on the display I start getting a high pitched whine which becomes a loud hiss with intermittent cracking past 50. At 45 it's dead quiet. This happens regardless of there being an input connected to the preamp or not.

Could this be an impedance mismatch? Any way to diagnose/fix the problem? I've sent a message to both manufacturers and am yet to hear from them.

The specs are below:

PREAMP
Input resistance:
10Kohm RCA
600ohm XLR (This is the input I use)
Output resistance: 75 ohms
Maximum gain: High Gain 12dB
Max output voltage: +/- 20V

POWERAMP
Input sensitivity 1V for 200W output @ 6 Ohms
Input impedance 10Kohm
Output Impedance 4-8 Ohms

Thanks..

Well, just from the specs you give above it is clear that you don't even need a preamp. Notice that the amp has an input sensitivity of 1 volt. That means that it will be driven to full power output (probably 20W not 200W) by 1 volt. Now look at the specs. for the preamp: maximum output is 20 volts! :eek:

It is no wonder that you can't turn up the preamp; you are driving the amp to full output with the preamp idling. You don't need a preamp with that amp. Does it have a level control on the input? If not get a passive preamp.

Hi,
An electronics engineer friend suggested I put a 10K resistor in parallel at the Power amp input which has sorted the problem.

Palustris, I did try my DAC direct to the power amp (volume control from PC) to try and got the same (probably louder) noise as described above with no input on the DAC. I also do need a pre since I have 2 sources and my power amps have no controls.

Thanks

I jumped the gun. The noise is not there if I select an input on the pre that's not connected. The moment I select an input connected to the source (DAC in this case), the noise starts although at a higher level.
On another note, I am getting a buzz/humm (like a ground loop). Could these be related?

With a passive preamp as suggested, you will overcome all of these problems. And you can add source selector too.In my opinion,this should be the first attempt.
Just remember, that volume control has to be far bellow 10k. If the source is 50R, then a 600R pot would do the job nicely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.