• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

K & K Audio Two Terminal Constant Current Source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No experience, but those kits are literally nothing more than a depletion mode mosfet, one or two resistors and a trimpot. I don't really see the added value of purchasing this as a kit instead of buying the components and wiring them in a point-to-point fashion.

No experience, but those kits are literally nothing more than a depletion mode mosfet, one or two resistors and a trimpot. I don't really see the added value of purchasing this as a kit instead of buying the components and wiring them in a point-to-point fashion.

I suppose anyone that's asking the OP question probably needs a schematic to build something of similar ilk...

K & K Audio Two Terminal Constant Current Source
Which one?

But never mind about the non-cascaded version. Get a cascaded version. (If you plan on using it as a plate load OR in the tail of a LTP) The non-cascaded version would do fine for instance in the output section of say a Baby Huey PP EL84.

And as mastodon says you could build those yourself.

The IXYS IXTP01N100D is reputed to sound better than the Supertex DN2540N5 and that is why K and K now use them. (Actually they use both in the cascaded but one is strategically placed where it has more effect)

Unfortunately us Europeans cannot buy IXYS IXTP01N100D.

Last edited:
Only thing I don't care for with the design is they thermally bond the two FETs together on the heat sink. By keeping the lower FET isolated and in free air (it doesn't dissipate much anyway) you reduce long term thermal drift. The upper FETs current is dictated by the lower.

You can even just wire it up lead-to-lead with a couple little Allen-Bradley 1k stopper resistors and a set resistor, and screw it to the unit through the heat sink. Nice and compact.

Attachments

• CCS in Chenin 002.jpg
    CCS in Chenin 002.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 399
  • CCS in Chenin 001.jpg
    CCS in Chenin 001.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 350
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.