• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power Transfomer For Valve Amp Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This PDF, from VMI, may be of interest. Among other things, it shows how to calculate regulation in a multiplier. Also, look at the full wave series circuitry. If C3 and C4 connect to AC, instead of (respectively) C1 and C2, you get a full wave series-parallel setup. That topology deals with regulation, ripple, and whatever. Most unfortunately, it's EXPENSIVE to execute. 'Lytics are fine in the central "spine", but the "arm" caps. connecting the stacked bridges to AC have to be AC rated non-polar plus high value. The motor run parts needed in a multi-stage setup will put a serious dent in your bank balance.

If you can't get a refund then you could do a 'positive' doubler and a 'negative' doubler off one end of the 70V secondary - although the regulation would not be fantastic, it would be practical for a guitar amp as the sag may be just what you need (similar to old power supplies).

Probably achieve an idle B+ of 350V, and ok for PP output and then extra filtering for screens and preamps.

The doublers would be the capacitor input - two capacitor-two diode type (as per bias configuration in http://dalmura.com.au/projects/McPherson Mk IV schem modified.pdf ) but increased capacitor levels, something like 200uF 200V electrolytics scavanged from switchmodes.

Ciao, Tim

Hey, I managed to get a refund and the seller said I could keep the transformer.. So any ideas for this transformer to go to use in a 50w valve amp would be great!

I'll read these two documents tomorrow when I get the time... I basically just need anything at a really cheap price as I'm not too worried (at the moment) about top quality sound.. To be honest, A working Valve amp would be great! - Then I can start replacing the cheap things with better quality components..
Least that's my plan!

Hey, I managed to get a refund and the seller said I could keep the transformer.. So any ideas for this transformer to go to use in a 50w valve amp would be great!

I'll read these two documents tomorrow when I get the time... I basically just need anything at a really cheap price as I'm not too worried (at the moment) about top quality sound.. To be honest, A working Valve amp would be great! - Then I can start replacing the cheap things with better quality components..
Least that's my plan!

Don't worry - guitaramp-territory is quite different to hi-fi. As long af some fundamental rules are followed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.