• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Using Seperate Preamp to Drive S-5 Electronics K-16LS Integrated Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question. I'm ready to order the K-16LS and have a basic question. I intend to use the amp to drive the tweeters in my ESS AMT 1A speakers. The tweeters are Heil Air Motion Transformers and are very efficient. From what I understand they can really benefit from a tube amp as opposed to the solid state amp I am currently using.

How can I use my existing Paragon 12A tube preamp to drive the K-16LS integrated amp? The Paragon 12A has a lot of gain and strong output. Is there something I can do to pad the input of the K-16LS so I don't over drive it?

I believe this is the schematic?

attachment.php

>Is there something I can do to pad the input of the K-16LS

There is a level control on the input of the amp in the schematic. The challenge will be to determine correct level relative to the woofer amp. I would use a test CD like the one put out by Stereophile years ago that has a steady state output at different frequencies. Play the CD and with the speakers connected, check the output of the tweeter amp and woofer amp with your AC voltmeter. Adjust the input level control on both amps until you see the same AC voltage reading from the output of each amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.