• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for goodme proven 2A3 SE project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe both technologies can be used to make a very good power supply.

For my SS amps I use SS power supply - no choice really because SS is low voltage high current and high current tube rectifiers are rare beasts. It's also hard to make chokes for very high current so my SS supplies are all currently CRC.

For my tube amp I use a tube rectifier, choke loaded with NO capacitors between the rectifier and the choke, good quality caps after the choke, i.e. LC. This is a very different animal to the type of SS power supply I used for my SS amplifiers. I really like this approach very much. A choke loaded supply has drastically reduced charging spikes through the rectifier for much less 'hash/noise'. I also like the built-in slow turn on and turn off that is achieved with tube rectifiers and believe they produce less noise compared with SS diodes. And if you are building a tube amp, just one more tube seems to be within the spirit of things !

Others with more experience that I who may have had the chance to compare the different types should be able to offer better advice.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.