• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spectra of tube glow: any data?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi fellow DIYers;

it is not the first thread about tube glow. I have an idea, to use a spectroscope to find out what glows inside of tubes. Different spectral lines may give a clue what kind of metals or gases produce the glow.

Is it a good idea, or wrong? Did anybody try it before?

Here is description of the device I found in the net, may it be usable?

A CD spectrometer

It is made of a cereal box and peace of CD.

spectrobox.jpg

spectrobox2.jpg

spectrobox3.jpg

Cereal's Good For You !

Hi fellow DIYers;

it is not the first thread about tube glow. I have an idea, to use a spectroscope to find out what glows inside of tubes. Different spectral lines may give a clue what kind of metals or gases produce the glow.

Is it a good idea, or wrong? Did anybody try it before?

Here is description of the device I found in the net, may it be usable?

A CD spectrometer

It is made of a cereal box and peace of CD.

spectrobox.jpg

spectrobox2.jpg

spectrobox3.jpg

Hi Wavebourn

The Space Egg Corp likes diy test equipment like that.
Put's all these new flatscreen scopes and DSP eq's & mics to shame !
All one needs is ears & an apetite for cereal !

I used to run endless optical filters on 50K's worth of Perkin-Elmer test gear, which was constantly going back for 5K recals.
Now if we had eaten more cereal.....

I'm gonna make one dude, I'm just finishing a box of 'Pecan Crunch' & have a bad CD burn under a large scotch on my desk.
Brilliant, finish scotch, 5 mins later.....finished test equipment.

My EL84's glow BLUE, which some seem to report and others not ?
It remind's me of special effects on the 50s' Sci-Fi 'Forbiden Planet' before Leslie Neilson did comedy.

Cheers

Simon

P.S. Have subscribed

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
One of my favorite movies..

On topic I think the idea is intriguing, wondering whether there is anything close to sufficient resolution? You'd also have to heat the tube up a lot I think to get spectral lines of anything other than the gas and filament. (to incandescence?)

SY probably has some answers to this I'd suspect.. Calling SY :D

Something tells me the spectral lines may be too close together and faint to distinguish them with commonly available household materials, and inexpensive digital imaging hardware. (a digicam.. :p).. :eek:

One of my favorite movies..

On topic I think the idea is intriguing, wondering whether there is anything close to sufficient resolution? You'd also have to heat the tube up a lot I think to get spectral lines of anything other than the gas and filament. (to incandescence?)

SY probably has some answers to this I'd suspect.. Calling SY :D

Something tells me the spectral lines may be too close together and faint to distinguish them with commonly available household materials, and inexpensive digital imaging hardware. (a digicam.. :p).. :eek:

My FAVORITE movie...

Leslie Nielson proves top results are available on a low budget..!

My EL84's are glowing a bright MID-BLUE, a kind of Picasso 'blue period' cirilian blue (sorry no pun intended, Typo:- blue colour).
My EL84's run at nuclear temperatures (best sound IMO) no extra heat required.

Cheers
:cool:

Simon

gaseous glow?
Umm... is this drilling holes in tubes thing getting out of control here? Maybe you need to shine a high power laser thru the tube to excite the gases, vaporize the barium getter. Nuke-it in the microwave....

I remember seeing some experiment writeup once where a tube or lightbulb was immersed in some chemically reactive solution, probably hot, and a high voltage applied between the solution and the inner elements. Ions from solution where induced to electro-migrate thru the glass (probably after a few days at least) by electrostatic charge buildup on the inside of the glass, and become trace gaseous impurities in the bulb. Then some spectra could be seen in a HV discharge within the bulb.

Last edited:
Now imagine a tube amp operating for years in a smokers environment. Electromigration of @%$#*+! thru the bulb, integrated over years. Probably affect the sound of the tube as well as the gaseous spectra. Better make sure those NOS tubes weren't stored for eons in some pipe or cigar smokers warehouse! And heaven forbid if some mouse or rat pee-d on the tube boxes in storage.

Last edited:
Project Mayhem !

Four hundred volts from plate to cathode, thirty milliamps baby. Fixed bias, ultra-linear, all the way. Military Russkies glow nice and blue all over, civilian tubes need not apply.

Hi Ty Bower

Are you sure that's not Tyler Durden ?
Project Mayhem ring a bell ?
Your not trying to blow that amp of yours up, are you ?

Cheers

Simon

Are you sure that's not Tyler Durden?

Your not trying to blow that amp of yours up, are you?

Someone once called me Tyler. My first name isn't Tyler, but I often go by Ty. Regardless, after the misnomer I felt attached to the avatar.

No, I'm not trying to blow up the amp. The designer fully intended those operating parameters. It kicks ***. Too many 6BQ5 amps are built with cathode bias and compromised supplies. This amp has punch and slam that far surpasses those, yet retains their finesse and detail. You might complain that tube life is short. Replacements are expected annually. I don't care, as the amp sounds fantastic and Russian military 6p14p-ev are still cheap and plentiful.

Someone once called me Tyler. My first name isn't Tyler, but I often go by Ty. Regardless, after the misnomer I felt attached to the avatar.

No, I'm not trying to blow up the amp. The designer fully intended those operating parameters. It kicks ***. Too many 6BQ5 amps are built with cathode bias and compromised supplies. This amp has punch and slam that far surpasses those, yet retains their finesse and detail. You might complain that tube life is short. Replacements are expected annually. I don't care, as the amp sounds fantastic and Russian military 6p14p-ev are still cheap and plentiful.

Hi Brad

No worry's I think Tyler had an idea or TWO.

I couldn't agree more, live fast, tubes die young, forget health food.
I think 6BQ5 kicks ***, I have parts for a new build at present.
Any recs on that ?
Not sure about 6P14P-EV will check that.
Do you have a prefered circuit for running these HOT ?

Cheers

Simon

Hello,

Light from tubes being dispersed into its’ component spectrial colors, Intresting stuff. The light has mulitipal possible sources. How well can the prism effect of the CD surface help identify what is going on this will take some noodleing. Perhaps the data is on the CD.
Rare earth elements emit a specific frequency band of light when struck with electrons of suficient energy.
Glass envelopes emit nice “Cobalt” blue from stray electrons bouncing around.
Thoriated Tungsten heaters emit nice white light. This light varies in intensity and color depending on temperature. (The missing color bands tell the tale.)
Wavebourn I like your toy from the Cracker Jack box. Please report your results

Prism (optics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gas chromatography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rare earth element - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DT
All just for fun!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.