Dynaco FM-3 Curcuit Boards - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2011, 01:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dynaco FM-3 Curcuit Boards

Here are some pics of the new boards I've done for the Dynatuner FM-3,
I was able to find some newer,and better components to replace the old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0468.JPG (139.0 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0466.JPG (103.9 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0467.JPG (67.1 KB, 312 views)
Old 8th April 2011, 02:01 PM   #2
miklos is offline miklos  Canada
diyAudio Member

So this is the front end with the first IF?
Looking good.
Old 8th April 2011, 03:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklos View Post
So this is the front end with the first IF?
Looking good.
Yes it's the first stage,I should have the next stages w/ discriminator real soon.
One of the new components for oscillator circuit, the trimmer capacitor can be adjusted above board which really helps on the RF alignment. Thanks
Old 8th April 2011, 04:54 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That board looks really good. Perhaps there is enough interest here that you could eventually offer these as part of a group buy.
Old 8th April 2011, 08:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
That board looks really good. Perhaps there is enough interest here that you could eventually offer these as part of a group buy.
Yes I am seriously considering it, there seems to be a huge intrest today in Dynaco gear, and the FM-3 is gaining on the other Dynaco products. I would hope enough intrest to begin manufacturing of the parts that are hard to find such as the IFT's needed for tube tuners.
Old 8th April 2011, 11:28 PM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You'd have no competition as far as I know so this could be a viable business. No question that these boards would make for a more stable and predictable tuner over time. Taming thermally induced local oscillator drift was a challenge in the original design, presumably you have kept the original ceramic caps or replaced them with devices with the same tempco. (Potentially some minor tweaking required here.) FR4 or G10 should be a lot less hygroscopic than the original phenolic pcbs and less lossy which hopefully result in somewhat improved overall performance. Definitely looks a lot better which is good enough justification IMHO, and the other new parts should help stability as well.
Old 9th April 2011, 12:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would hope enough intrest to begin manufacturing of the parts that are hard to find such as the IFT's needed for tube tuners.
There's a fellow in Germany that makes IF "cans". The PCB versions look like rectangular blocks. Nothing unusual about that. The P2P versions are cylindrical, with a wedge on top that holds everything together. IIRC, the coils for the P2P versions are mounted on PCB material which sticks through a slot in the shield and an opening in the PCB material is what the wedge engages.

Yet another method for dealing with the IF interstage trafo issue is a parafeed setup, with a RF choke loading the plate and a DC blocking cap. coupling the plate to a reverse connected (step up wired) BJT IF "can". The Mouser catalog page for BJT IF trafos is here.
Old 9th April 2011, 02:22 AM   #8
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

If you make a board set for the FM-3 available I'd be interested in a few sets actually as I have a few FM-3s of my own plus some friends have some as well. It would be nice to have new modern boards for restoration.

Regards, KM
Old 9th April 2011, 03:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaier View Post
If you make a board set for the FM-3 available I'd be interested in a few sets actually as I have a few FM-3s of my own plus some friends have some as well. It would be nice to have new modern boards for restoration.

Regards, KM
I will have some PC-8 boards some time at the end of next week, I have already done PC-12,so I will have a FULL set,some already populated,I could work an exchange,old for the new,which will lower the cost,plus give me the components I need to populate the new boards. I can PM you when I get those in,Thanks.
Old 9th April 2011, 03:18 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here is PC-12. When I was first working on the design,I was using the old board as a pattern,so I didn't design the new board to accomidate individual components for the PEC filters,although I know there are modern PEC modules available,I just decided to use the old. In the newer design I will make space available for the PEC components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0496.JPG (99.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0493.JPG (90.1 KB, 227 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!