• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dynaco FM-3 Curcuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are some pics of the new boards I've done for the Dynatuner FM-3,
I was able to find some newer,and better components to replace the old.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 408
That board looks really good. Perhaps there is enough interest here that you could eventually offer these as part of a group buy.

Yes I am seriously considering it, there seems to be a huge intrest today in Dynaco gear, and the FM-3 is gaining on the other Dynaco products. I would hope enough intrest to begin manufacturing of the parts that are hard to find such as the IFT's needed for tube tuners.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You'd have no competition as far as I know so this could be a viable business. No question that these boards would make for a more stable and predictable tuner over time. Taming thermally induced local oscillator drift was a challenge in the original design, presumably you have kept the original ceramic caps or replaced them with devices with the same tempco. (Potentially some minor tweaking required here.) FR4 or G10 should be a lot less hygroscopic than the original phenolic pcbs and less lossy which hopefully result in somewhat improved overall performance. Definitely looks a lot better which is good enough justification IMHO, and the other new parts should help stability as well.

I would hope enough intrest to begin manufacturing of the parts that are hard to find such as the IFT's needed for tube tuners.

There's a fellow in Germany that makes IF "cans". The PCB versions look like rectangular blocks. Nothing unusual about that. The P2P versions are cylindrical, with a wedge on top that holds everything together. IIRC, the coils for the P2P versions are mounted on PCB material which sticks through a slot in the shield and an opening in the PCB material is what the wedge engages.

Yet another method for dealing with the IF interstage trafo issue is a parafeed setup, with a RF choke loading the plate and a DC blocking cap. coupling the plate to a reverse connected (step up wired) BJT IF "can". The Mouser catalog page for BJT IF trafos is here.

If you make a board set for the FM-3 available I'd be interested in a few sets actually as I have a few FM-3s of my own plus some friends have some as well. It would be nice to have new modern boards for restoration.

Regards, KM

I will have some PC-8 boards some time at the end of next week, I have already done PC-12,so I will have a FULL set,some already populated,I could work an exchange,old for the new,which will lower the cost,plus give me the components I need to populate the new boards. I can PM you when I get those in,Thanks.

Here is PC-12. When I was first working on the design,I was using the old board as a pattern,so I didn't design the new board to accomidate individual components for the PEC filters,although I know there are modern PEC modules available,I just decided to use the old. In the newer design I will make space available for the PEC components.

Attachments

• IMG_0496.JPG
    IMG_0496.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 304
There's a fellow in Germany that makes IF "cans". The PCB versions look like rectangular blocks. Nothing unusual about that. The P2P versions are cylindrical, with a wedge on top that holds everything together. IIRC, the coils for the P2P versions are mounted on PCB material which sticks through a slot in the shield and an opening in the PCB material is what the wedge engages.

Yet another method for dealing with the IF interstage trafo issue is a parafeed setup, with a RF choke loading the plate and a DC blocking cap. coupling the plate to a reverse connected (step up wired) BJT IF "can". The Mouser catalog page for BJT IF trafos is here.

That is intresting,I'll have to research this some more,Thanks.

Denny,
Will you provide a BOM with any of the board sets you wish to part with. I would love to build a nice tube tuner. Count me in for a set of boards. Really nice work. Good tube tuners are fetching monumental sums on ebay.

Tad

Sounds good,I already have several boards populated already,but I can supply you with a BOM. In addition to resistors and caps,I have only made two other changes in replacement of the old components.

PC-7 C8 has been replaced with an Air Dielectric Trimmer Capacitor made by Sprague Goodman Part No.GAA10006

PC-7 L2 has been replaced by a choke made by Fastron Part No.
MICC/N-3R9J-00

I will PM you the BOM's

Thanks again.

PS In the original design,I simply used the old boards as a pattern,so PC-12 doesn't accomidate the individual components for the PEC filters,so I am updating the design for that.

Last edited:
Your boards look really great and should be good for those who only wants to partly restore their Dynacos.

I don´t want to be rude but this is the SOTA board sold and made by FM3ZONE:

MOTHERBOARD

Great guy, I have bought many, normally obsolete, FM1 and FM3 parts from him. He has all coils and also new PEC-modules and a upgrade PSU. This could be of interest for those who wants to use your boards.

Last edited:
Your boards look really great and should be good for those who only wants to partly restore their Dynacos.

I don´t want to be rude but this is the SOTA board sold and made by FM3ZONE:

MOTHERBOARD

Great guy, I have bought many, normally obsolete, FM1 and FM3 parts from him. He has all coils and also new PEC-modules and a upgrade PSU. This could be of interest for those who wants to use your boards.

No worries. Yes He's a great guy,I've bought from Him too,I've seen His Motherboard, He has really done His homework when it comes to the FM-3.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.