Tube stage placement in a mongrel (hybrid) amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2011, 12:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube stage placement in a mongrel (hybrid) amp

Hello all you tubers, I've got a problem, and I'm hoping that it doesn't spark too much debate. Next year I'll be designing a hybrid amp, with a minimal number of tubes. The problem I have is how I would use them to get the most out of their tone. This will be an instrument amplifier, so at times the tubes will be have to be overdriven to meet the user's demands. I was thinking that they might do their thing as a step up between the preamp and power amp stages, but knowing me I'm completely wrong. Also, I'd be eternally grateful if a possible schematic could be included, as I know far too little about those glorious glowing things to design my own stage or identify a good schematic from the sea of searches.
Old 7th April 2011, 02:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
Hello all you tubers, I've got a problem,............................... Next year I'll be designing a hybrid amp........................................ I know far too little about those glorious glowing things to design my own stage.........................
???
Yes, a problem......
Solution (old school, I know) = study
Old 7th April 2011, 01:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have done quite a bit of studying, but I'm hoping to receive specific advice from more experienced people. My studying has led me to beleive that I could maximize the tube's influence on the sound as a voltage amplifier between the preamp and power amp. But I don't fully understand how to control the threshold at which the tube will start clipping, and the coupling requirements. I don't intend to copy any provided schematics, but use them for reference/comparison. So if I sounded like a lazy bum or an imbecile, I apologize.

Hide this!Advertise here!