• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300B with interstage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking around for a new amp project and I found this one. While I have a few scratch built amps under my belt, I am still learning when it comes to circuits. What is the purpose of the relays in the B- and C+ arms of the PS? Do I need them?

Thanks

Jonathan

Attachments

• SE108IT2.jpg
    SE108IT2.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 271
Hi!

The relais in the B+ of the output stage will be triggered only when the bias voltage is there. This prevenst the B+ from being present to early in case bias is not settled yet and acts as a safety mechanism in case the bias fails, B+ will also be interrupted and thus avoid over current on the precious 300B.

For my taste the 417 is not a good choice as driver for the 300B since it will not have a lot of headroom. It will work however.

Best regards

Thomas

Most designs avoid this complication by using solid state rectification in the bias circuit. Tube bias is certainly much cooler.

Not liking relays much i would examine the possibility of using a directly heated diode for the bias instead.

Last edited:
Thomas,

I think I understand now. The switch on procedure for this amp would be: a) turn on main switch; b) wait for the heaters to come on, manually turn on the GZ37 relay which would then eventually automatically trigger the 24V relay in the 2nd EZ81.

Jonathan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.