• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Phono Stage Only?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm second-guessing the phono stage in my Classe' 47.5 preamp and thought it might be nice to try a seperate phono stage. Tubes this time.

I've found a lot of quick plans for phono stages integrated to a preamp, but is there a simple design for a medium-output (.4mv) MC tube phono stage?

I've built a set of speakers or two, but never any electronics. That's why I'm looking for simple.

Thanks in advance...

Hi,

0.4mV is closer to low output than medium output. One option might be building a kit, like those from Bottlehead, Hagerman, or K&K Audio, and then adding a stepup transformer at the input. I agree with EC8010. I wouldn't recommend scratch building a phono stage as a first tube project - hence, the kits above, where someone else has spent all the effort on layout and chasing down noise issues.

I like pedroskova's suggestions, and in the order listed. The K&K is the most expensive but it already has input step up transformers for the low output voltage of your cart, where the Hagerman Cornet, or the Seduction need them added in. A decent pair of transformers would be ~$150.
But any of the three would be a great phono pre for you.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I can tell when I'm dealing with someone that knows what they are talking about.

While I understand your decision making process very well, to me that's still a hybrid circuit and it would be nice if it was marketed as such.

Don't get me wrong, but as a tube lover the mere fact that a JFET? is my first amplification stage ( cascode no less) in the chain throws me off to the point that I'm beyond caring what's used after that, tubes or semis, whatever.

But that's just me, I only like thoroughbreds...;)

Let us know what it sounds like...and don't bite my head of.:goodbad:

Happy listening,;)

fdegrove said:

Don't get me wrong, but as a tube lover the mere fact that a JFET? is my first amplification stage ( cascode no less) in the chain throws me off to the point that I'm beyond caring what's used after that, tubes or semis, whatever.

Let us know what it sounds like...and don't bite my head of.:goodbad:

Happy listening,;)

Aw, c'mon Frank, give him a break - it's very similar to Alan Wright's design, with the addition of an x-frmr input and an x-frmr output replacing the cathode follower.

It's easily the best kit design out there...or am I missing something?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sure enough someone had to respond...;)

It's easily the best kit design out there...or am I missing something?

From my response it should clear that it was my " personal" reaction...

Anyone may turn that circuit anyway they want, it's still a hybrid circuit, isn't it?

The question is can we do just as well with tubes/valves?

Any takers?

fdegrove said:
While I understand your decision making process very well, to me that's still a hybrid circuit and it would be nice if it was marketed as such.

I don't see where it's marketed as a tube only stage. A generic schematic is on the website.

Thoroughbred my ****. This topology works exceptionally well.

fdegrove said:
The question is can we do just as well with tubes/valves?

Go ahead. Bet you can't get the noise/distortion/gain anywhere near it in a tube only design.

Uh, oh...Did I start something?

I'm more interested in the quality rather than if it is of a specific design or not. Hell, it could be made out with a vacuum CLEANER for all I care if it sounds good.

But I'm a purest with other stuff too so I hear where you are coming from. =)

CptTripps said:
Uh, oh...Did I start something?

Nope. Frank and I have been having this discussion for well over a year now. It's just he's a stubborn old coot and won't admit he's wrong in this case. :)

I'm more interested in the quality rather than if it is of a specific design or not. Hell, it could be made out with a vacuum CLEANER for all I care if it sounds good.

But I'm a purest with other stuff too so I hear where you are coming from. =)

In this case those two statements contradict each other.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Nope. Frank and I have been having this discussion for well over a year now. It's just he's a stubborn old coot and won't admit he's wrong in this case.

Let Frank tell you something; from many years of experience; Frank makes mistakes like anyone else but when it comes to valves he knows one thing for sure: stay away from semi-conductors in the signal path.

He smells those rats miles away; they're the first thing to die in a circuit and always carry a sonic fingerprint that has no bearing to anything remotely related to music...can't say that about most valves I know of.

Frank also knows valves, he shifted enough of those to know them well enough, he also stuck his nose into recording studios, industrial apps using valves to know they're rather reliable things.

Frank also ran/runs several consultancies and is supposed to know more than his contractees...

Frank was also one of the first to implement a CCS long before anyone else "discovered" the potential...

Should Frank go on listing a lifetime commitment to audio?

Frank does respect younger coot Brett though, whishing him all the best in his new (ad)venture....

So, what about that phono stage?

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.