• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

low voltage "high gain" amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello there, ive found an old SS amp that ive been wanting to turn into a hybrid, but i was hoping to not spend too much on power transformers, and im using an SS PA so no need for an OPT.

basically, i want to rip out the preamp and make a typical 3 gain stage with cathode follower design, i was thinking of using 12AU7's as iv used them for low voltage, and i was hoping to run them on about 30v maybe less, has anyone had any experience in this or is this going to be a trial and error thing?

+/- 30v is very possible, im not sure about using negative voltage on the valves though, do i just replace ground points with V- points? and i have looked at some designs, but none of them get you very far in terms of gain, and ive got against voltage doubling, ive used them before and didnt really liked the way it turned out

dont worry about the - supply to your op-amp style output stage.

Ground is ground, certainly do not connect the negative rail for the output to ground(speaker ground is ground, although this should be a nice short connection to the smoothing caps) I mean the around about -30V rail.

You say you are using a TDAxxxx type thing. It wont need any gain in front of it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.