• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What to do with Telefunken parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Having recently decided to build a high end computer in a 60's model console radio cabinet, I found a Telefunken for sale locally on craigslist.

The blond colored Cabinet has a Concerto 5306 receiver, 504 record player, and a Magnetophone 97 real to real. I know I shouldn't have, but I plugged it in after I got it home to see what would happen, luckily nothing too bad....I was able to all of the equipment but there was a noticeable humming noise (capacitors right?) so after about 3 minutes of playing around, I unplugged everything.

So, here is my question. I plan on gutting everything to eventually use the cabinet as a huge computer case. should I try to sell the items as-is (working, but not perfectly) or should I part out the tubes? The tubes work, but I have no testing equipment to verify that for a buyer; Here is a list of the tubes I have...(all telefunken except 1)
From the receiver (easy to get out)
ECC85
ECC83 (some paper type cover around this, what is that?)
EF89 x 2
ECH 81
EABC 80
ECL86 x 2
EM84
From the Magnaphon (hard to get out? this list is according to the manual)
EF86 (two of these)
ECC81 (2 of these)
EL95 (2 of these)
EM84

Anyway, just looking for some advice on how best to go about getting rid of all this extra stuff. I must say, reading about the passion folks have for their Tube radios/amps, I am almost intrigued enough to just repair the caps and use it :)

Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sell them complete - not parted out if you must. I'm assuming this thing is on the very rare end of the spectrum, but probably not that much demand - still it seems a shame to kill it for what will probably be a fairly short lived use.

Potentially a collector/restorer might make it worth your while to sell it.

I would imagine that the drivers are all alnico and some Telefunken drivers go for very good money.

Planet10 may have some insight, and will hopefully weigh in.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I second for selling. If you have a tube tester, or know somebody who has, checking tubes and posting data would help. You may sell tubes separately.

Then buy Soviet military tubes and transformers from Edcor. ;)

He wants to put a computer in the cabinet, nothing at all about audio here AFAIK.. Most of the tubes in this unit really aren't all that valuable either.. (ECL86, EM84 and ECC83 are valuable if in mint condition and tested) I'd sell the electronics complete with tubes - there are probably people here on the forum who would be very interested.

I'm really not a big fan of parting out units like this, seems to me with a little work it could make a very nice vintage near hifi, and it is probably to some extent collectible.

Last edited:
It might be worth your while to post some pics and description to one of the antique radio fora and make sure that you are not losing a lot of money by parting it out. You might also want to run the tape deck info past the guys in the tape forum at AK to be sure that it is not a collectors item.

If the console is not highly valuable you would probably do best by selling the electronics intact rather than selling individual tubes and transformers unless there are some very valuable tubes in there and you have a way to test them. With boutique tubes it is often a subtle variation (e.g. plate design or color) that makes them uber valuable so just brand and type is probably not enough to determine value.

Haha

The computer company research lab I used to work for got a bunch of old Philco Predicta TVs in excellent condition (the ones with the picture tube mounted in a separate enclosure above the box). They then proceeded to gut them, installed LCD screens and computers, and turned them into computer terminals...

Sure it would be nice to restore it and enjoy it's original function, but how many people would appreciate it these days?

The paper sleeve on the ECC83 is probably a really cheap tube shield. Is there metal foil or a silver coating on the outside?

Attachments

• philcoTV.jpg
    philcoTV.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 201
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sounds like there are 2 small SE amps between the receiver & the tape deck... if you can find someone who needs one to restore an old piece of kit that would be good, but if not, each chunk whole so that some neopyte can build a starter/practise amp would be my call.

If shipping gets involved, it is the set (or 2) iron... at least the ECL86 & EF95 should be included with the iron.

The further you strip it down, the less return you'll get.

The ECC83 & EF86 tested good (and with diamonds on the bottom) might well be the most valuable bits -- especially if the silkscreen (which is delicate on these) is still in good shape.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... a Magnetophone 97

Talk about syncronysity...

Yesterday i found a stash of "library" reading material the wife had just stuffed into a corner when cleaning up. Sorting thru them today to take them downstairs ro the library proper, i find the owner's manual and service sheet (schematic & circuit board layout) for this particular item. I can scan if you'd like.

The OPTs for these are quite nice (for a small tube), 12k to 4 ohms so might have some applicability to unusual output tubes.

dave

Thanks for all the replies :)

And also ty planet10 for the offer, but this thing came with a *lot* of original paperwork. Based on the advice here, I am going to post pics at a few places and see if anyone is interested in the complete pieces before I do anything else with them.

Here are the pics:

Pictures by Dredfred - Photobucket

And I hadn't looked very closely at the ECC83, that looks like copper around it, not paper /doh.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.