Fender 5F1 Champ clone with triode mode - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2011, 06:01 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitizen17 View Post
There is no "sag" in a class A amp like the 5F1, so I don't see that choke, or no choke, makes any difference whatsoever except to provide better filtering and therefore better noise reduction. Switches fail over time when not used properly, so I don't see that as a factor.
The current of a class A amp is mostly constant as long as you are well away from maximum output. In a champ things getting crazy as you play and overload the amp on peaks; class A goes out the window. There will be huge amount of sag on the psu and any increase in DCR will magnify it. BTW, make sure you have a decently sized (value and rating) screen stopper resisitor on the 6V6. I have watched the screens light-up with heat up as the ouput stage starts overloading.
Old 1st April 2011, 08:33 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarniwoop View Post
The current of a class A amp is mostly constant as long as you are well away from maximum output. In a champ things getting crazy as you play and overload the amp on peaks; class A goes out the window. There will be huge amount of sag on the psu and any increase in DCR will magnify it. BTW, make sure you have a decently sized (value and rating) screen stopper resisitor on the 6V6. I have watched the screens light-up with heat up as the ouput stage starts overloading.
Right now I have a 100 ohm, 3 Watt on the screen. The choke in the PS is 411 ohms. I'd like to put a scope on the amp and see just what happens during overload. I'm playing a 1998 G&L Legacy, but I haven't been able to play the amp much, hopefully this weekend. I built a Gilmore Jr., actually 2 Gilmore Jrs. in the same chassis, about 3 years ago. Based on my initial impressions of the Champ clone, I'm really liking it.

Last edited by scott17; 1st April 2011 at 08:36 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!