• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What types of SET rock the hardest?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When talking low powered SET amps, which types are most suited to rock music?
Low powered SET amps are not really suited to rock music with most loudspeakers.

Any SET will do rock music well with a >100dB efficient loudspeaker. However with most of the < 93dB efficient loudspeakers IMO SET looses out to PP. Especially with Rock and other complex music. A girl with a guitar might still cut it with SET and low efficiency speakers.

It all comes down to the complete system. No way you can ask a question like you have asked without telling us the size of room and the speakers you use. :)

If you are talking about triode "flavor" which really does come through in an SET then I'd say the 2A3 is your best bet for Rock 'n Roll. (Rock is as much about tone as any other form of music, I think.) A Wright 3.5 mono is a steel of a deal if you can lay hands on one. If you need more power goto an 811-10 but the voltage required for the power source and the shift in parts required is going to kill your wallet.

Interesting that the 2a3 has been mentioned. I have a 300B SET I built which is all-DHT. Input is 26. When I swapped in a 2a3 as driver the sound sprang to life - more dynamic, and a definite boogie factor - had me tapping my feet right away. So I'd second the 2a3, and add that a good beefy driver for the 300b or whatever output tube gives you the dynamics.

andy

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I find my DC coupled 300B amp quite rocking. 1 W @ 0.04 % THD; 10 W @ 3 % THD. It won't rock the house off the foundation, but it's plenty loud. And more importantly, it sounds good at normal listening levels.

I generally find the "this amp is only good for that kind of music" debate rather absurd anyway.

~Tom

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
but it will sound like mud when the music gets busy.
Like Mudhoney does.

SET amps and grunge might be okay, SET amps and hard rock..... not sure if it's worth it: a good vocal timbre is absent in most (all?) rock recordings. Guitar solos sound great though. Anyway, a pentode SET would be the best choice for rock (I think).

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ok, let's just say the speakers are very efficient (96db +).

In this case which flavour of SET amp is the best for rock?

Its a no-brainer - the biggest most badass SET you can build. Rock is all about power and maintaining power at low frequencies for extended periods. Like drag-racing, this is one situation where there is no substitute for cubes

It cannot be overstated: the amp and speaker must be considered together to get music out of either. My particular POV for DIY: build or rebuild something in Klipsch heritage series (because they are easy to work on and much is written about them) and a very simple SET (same as for Klipsch heritage). You will learn how very much parts contribute to the final sound and glean the joy of choosing your sound through parts selection. Cornwalls might be the best choice for rock 'n roll b/c the bass is produced in a more familiar format IMHO...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.