output transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2001, 04:23 PM   #1
GAK is offline GAK
diyAudio Member

I'm trying to find anything about designing and winding an output transformer.Calculations for core area,primary and secondary winding etc.If anyone knows something please I need to know.
Are there any books?I've heard somewhere about Menno van der Veen's book.But I can't find it!The title is "Transformers and Tubes".
Old 7th April 2001, 04:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Cool try this web site

Found this site a while back way beyond me, but maybe it will help!

http://www.diyaudio.8m.com/ot_en.html

Ward
Old 7th April 2001, 04:40 PM   #3
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Doktor,

There are some books in Old Colony Lab Sound about audio transformer design for tube amps.

A general book about transformers usually has informations too (number of turns, area, losses), but I think it's better see specific tube amp design transformer books, because there are much more information about construction details to improve the quality of the transformer.

I have one book about transformers wich covers audio transformers considering the general theory, but it's written in portuguese, if it's not a problem for you, I will be able to send you more information.

Regards
Old 7th April 2001, 04:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

Thanks Blmn but me no speak a no Portuguese. But I do appreicate the offer. I just thought GAK may like to visit that web page since it has to do with output transformer design etc.
Old 8th April 2001, 12:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry doktor, I made a mistake and I thought you were openned the thread. I think I need a vacation...HI!

Old 8th April 2001, 03:57 AM   #6
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

The book by Menno Vanderveen (sold by Plitron). It has all you are looking for and more.
Old 8th April 2001, 02:41 PM   #7
GAK is offline GAK
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies!
Elvis Rakic's calculations are ok.But are only for single ended amps.I'm interested for push pull and ultra linear amps.
I found an advertisment of Veen's book at Plitron's site and I think it's based on toroidal xformers.What about calculations for xformers with laminations?At Old Colony there's a book wrote by Flanagan.Does anyone know anything about it?
Blmn,I don't know portuguese but any information is acceptable!

Old 9th April 2001, 02:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

GAK,

I have the Flanagan's book (Handbook of Transformer design and applications) and I can say it is a little bit complex. It considers wideband performance for audio transformers and I think it won't be a problem if you have previuos math and electromagnetism skills, but it's not a pratical design handbook.

The brazilian book I have is "Transformadores" by Alfonso Martignoni - Editora Globo. It's old but it's still valuable. It has practical examples and a simplified way to determine the transformers caracteristics, but it does not consider the upper frequency behaviour of audio transformers or even the impedance models. If you wish I could scan the pages and send it to you, If you have brazilian or portuguese engineering students near you for shure they will help you on translating the text about EI audio and low power transformers (20 pages, but almost all are full of pictures and equations). I have done many designs for transistor output and driver transformers in the past using it and I didn't have problems.

About Plitron's book, I don't know the book but I can say there are many transformer parameters and carachteristics wich are valid from any shape of core, so it would be a good reference for you too.

Regards
Old 9th April 2001, 08:53 PM   #9
GAK is offline GAK
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up blmn

Thanks for your interest
Maybe I'll buy Menno van der Veen's book.I think it'll be what I need.
But I would also like to see your portuguese information.
I think that from the pictures and the equations I'll understand a lot.I'm too interested for the EI audio text.

Old 10th April 2001, 11:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

GAK,

I sent an e-mail for you. Please reply it to me so that I can send to you the text about transformers.

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!