Help With Flavors of Tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2003, 02:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help With Flavors of Tubes

I am very new and this is about the only place i can think of with the tech info that i am looking for. thanks in advance for your help.

Here it is ..I am playing around with tube microphones and decided to change the tube in a mic that I own from a 12AX7(probably chinese) to a RCA Black lable 12AV7. I also tried a 12AT7 in the same mic. the tone of the mic was cool with the AX7 but the top was hyped..Not what i am after. The AT7 was a little more smoother with its lower gain factor...nicer. The AV7 was very warm to me and i like it. My question is. Is there someone or where i can get a review of some kind from tube manufactuer as to the flava of the tube. they must differ from company to company as to sound...in the same model AV7 to other AV7. I like the sound of this one i am hoping for a little more articulaion and clairity without the xtra gain on top and harsh top end with a hotter tube......whew! Sorry it was so long. Thanks again
Old 3rd August 2003, 04:26 AM   #2
DSummer is offline DSummer  United States
diyAudio Member

China made 12AX7 and RCA old stock black plate 12AY7 are actually in different quality. You can't say 12AY7 is better than 12AX7 in your mic...until you try a same quality of 12AX7. Especially the circuit is designed for 12AX7 (the best working point), I believe 12AX7 will still the best choice in your equipment.
Old 3rd August 2003, 04:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply.

It is not about whats better..it's about what i want this particular mic to sound like. I wish I knew where to get a black label 12AX7 just to try it out...it's effortless. The reason i am changing the tube is the same reason a guitar player would change his/her tubes in the amp to change the tone of the devise. What i am looking for is a tube taster some who has some knowledge of brand "a" was made for more crunch where brand "b" has a more mellow tone(AX7 vs AX7) and better with fish....if you get my drift. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 3rd August 2003, 05:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You might try a 5751. It is a drop in replacement with less gain and some people prefer it to a 12AX7. Mu is 70 instead of 100. The 12AX7LPS by Sovtek may also sound good. I have tried both of them with good results.
Old 3rd August 2003, 05:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The 12AT7 and 12AV7 are very different tubes than the 12AX7 in terms of gain and biassing, so I'm not surprised you're hearing differences. Unless you know how to adjust the circuit for the different tubes (if that is possible or feasible, which I doubt) use the correct tube.

Someone else should comment on the different flavours of 12AX7's, because I think the all stink.
Old 3rd August 2003, 06:12 AM   #6
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Mullard ECC83 has a big following... They seem to add a great tone to guitar amps.
Old 3rd August 2003, 06:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phunkeone
What i am looking for is a tube taster some who has some knowledge of brand "a" was made for more crunch where brand "b" has a more mellow tone(AX7 vs AX7) and better with fish....if you get my drift.
Woo.... then it will be a long story... Let say US brand, 12AX7 family includes 5751, 7025, 7729, 6681.... Also European substitution ECC83, ECC803S, M8137, CV4004, CV6057, CV492, B339.... Even the same brand, different construction/materials and different year made (different version) will perform different. Probably the list will consist of couple hundreds of tube reviews...
Moreover, the tube performance in my equipment will not be the same in yours, also they will give an unpredictable result when working in different position of an equipment. eg. Marantz 7 line amp stage uses 3 12AX7, Sylvania triple mica black plate 5751 works perfect in buffer stage/cathode follower, but sounds poor if you place it at input stage.
If you like warm and musical sound, probably you can try any US black plate 5751, long plate 12AX7/7025 or Mullard CV4004/M8137. I guess they will fit your taste.
Old 3rd August 2003, 10:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

You guys are the best.
Soooooo you want me to take the AV7 out of my mic and stick with what it was designed(AX7) with??? Will it damage the mike running at a lower gain factor(MU) If that is the case so be it i will keep searching researching and try to find and learn this tube thang because its what I like to hear when going into my recordind system..which is a DAW so i want the fuzzy wuzzy on it before. I can always take it off..there is no algorithim that will give it to me like this. Thanks good folks.....Much love to ya...
Old 3rd August 2003, 11:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default 12AX7

If you need any kind of tubes, just email me, may be I can help!
Old 3rd August 2003, 11:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Call for Hi Fi World DIY Supp No 14!!!

In april of 1995 HiFi world published their diy supplement number 14.

This had a "know your preamp tubes" article with 12ax7, 12ay7, 12au7, 12av7, 6sn7 etc.

For each valve (set up at its proper operational points) they described general characteristics eg: chrome plated sheen to the sound, warm and soft, clear and detailed, punchy etc.

They listed the main equivalent drop ins and said which of the brands were typically the best (eg red base military for 6sn7).

A brief rundown of operating points was given and recommendations of where they would be best applied eg:don't use this one for a phono stage as it's too noisy.

My problem is that this diy supplment is the one that I've lost (aint that always the way)

This would be a really good place for you to begin your search.

PS, i've found some music shops (who sell guitar style valve amps) to be utterly useless for advice like this. They'll tell you any kind of BS to get a sale. Only a few months ago a store in Adelaide South Australia informed me that "There are only 2 brands of valve available in the world today and they both come from the same factory in Russia so there's no difference." Gee and I was sure Western Electric were based in the states!

Hope I've been of some help,

drew

Hide this!Advertise here!