• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What music/sound style for 845 tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
May sound a little weird, but I was wondering if someone could tell me what the sound characteristics are of 845 tubes, especially when compared to 300B tubes. My understanding is that 300B tubes tend to have a sweet smooth sound, but what sound type do the 845 tubes have?
Also, what type of music do people generally play when they listen to 845 tube driven amps?

Offhand I would say the 845 doesn't have a particular sound different than the 300B, but all other things equal (Loudspeaker sensitivity, OPT) the 845 is the more powerful tube and will open up the world of rock music and contemporary pop. The dynamic range will be greater with the 845, with the greater power, but the OPT choices will be less with the 845.

______________________________________________________Rick.......

I was indeed thinking of Single Ended. As for the rest of my setup, I do have speakers, but they are not that suitable for tube amp gear, so I will also look around for new speakers. I was considering either Opera Consonance M12, or maybe Zu Audio speakers, both of which have a high sensitivity.

As for "what music should I listen to", it's not the question I am asking. Generally, certain types of amps are just more suitable for certain type of music. Same goes for speakers.

Last edited:
nou, klinkt alsof ik maar een setje 845 monos moet regelen.

Oops, I meant to say: seems like I need to get myself a set of 845's as I sometimes do listen to more harder style music (guns'n roses, metallica, linkin park). Currently I have an amp with 300B tubes, which sounds sweet and smooth, but playing linkin park on it, well, I think it sounds better on a digital amp... but if the 845's sound better, then I should try those too

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.