Who makes their own OPT around here? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2011, 06:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Who makes their own OPT around here?

Who makes their own OPT around here?
What core do you use?(type/material)
How to you wind the bobbin?

I haven't seen to much ppl around making their own opt. It's hard to get it perfect (audiophile grade) but most likely you can build a better one for a lot less than the price of commercial transformers.
Old 16th March 2011, 08:43 PM   #2
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Not many people do it. The learning curve is steep, laminations of a proper size are hard to get, materials are expensive, etc.

There are some good tutorials out on the web and once I get a house and have the space to do this stuff I may give it a go - but I have no illusions of actually saving money by doing it.
Old 16th March 2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Bpowell or Bud Powell does.
This, along with working with IC's, tonearm wiring is something I leave to the pro's
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPED |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 16th March 2011, 09:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It can be done, naturally. But on the other hand, aside from price, there are good transformer firms out there and some will wind to your spec (and of those, some will make the specific transformer part of the catalog afterward, since the design work is just sitting there, and they have the equipment to wind anything on order).

Unless you are a serious garage-rat hobbyist, or really want to learn the art, the truth is you may as well work another 10 hours and throw the wages at the problem instead. Time isn't money, but lost time is definitely lost forever. I can't see the exercise being a saving unless you're going into it whole hog; it might be different for someone already into it, since that's reaping the rewards of time invested. As a new venture the math changes, at least for me.

The exception might be if you need a huge, heavy piece of iron that costs way too much to ship, but even then you can always trade off delivery time for shipping cost. Even the proverbial "slow boat from China" eventually gets to it's destination. Also, the raw materials you might be able to get locally still have the shipping component in the price. Another possible exception is if you're building an "ultimate" amplifier that is worthy of the attention.

A well designed transformer that isn't built to a price is a wonderful thing, but they aren't cheap by their nature, even if you DIY it.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 16th March 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 16th March 2011, 09:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

When you tried winding a few OPTs youll start apreciating the LOW price of the commercial ones.

A mains transformer takes me 1-2 hours to calculate and wind.

An OPT takes the best part of a day.

Only reason for winding one your self is if its so big you cant find one on the shelf or you want a special primary load or taps.

It can be done and there are a few good computer programs for calculating, but how you split the winding in sections and layers is an art i got a clue about how, but im not even close to mastering it.

And you need a winding machine doing it all by hand is almost impossible.
Old 16th March 2011, 09:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm not making trafos (don't have any material and equipment to do so, and no reason to invest in this), instead, I design them for myself with my own software and order from any suitable factory (big headache indeed).

Use custom-made M4 toroid cores. Wanted to try HiB but factory I wished them to order from run out of this material and had no plan to purchase stock unless I place an order for 1 ton or so.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well i know someone from who i can learn a few things .
About prices it all comes down to your sources :P. With Ukraine Poland and Russia around cheap sources are everywhere
Old 16th March 2011, 11:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrazvan View Post
Well i know someone from who i can learn a few things .
About prices it all comes down to your sources :P. With Ukraine Poland and Russia around cheap sources are everywhere
It depends where you are living. Russia and Ukraine are outside EU, and thus, customs may be a problem too expensive for small orders. Poland is an obvious choice.
Old 17th March 2011, 12:13 AM   #9
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
Bpowell or Bud Powell does.
Do you mean Bud Purvine? BudP.
Old 17th March 2011, 12:28 AM   #10
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Bud Powell was one of the greatest jazz musicians

Hide this!Advertise here!