• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido All-In-One Octal B+ measurement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using this board with 6SN7's in all four locations. I stuffed the board using the "Typical Part Values" for this configuration specified in the manual and tested it with a 240Vac transformer borrowed from another project.

The transformer I'm trying now is a Hammond 185E230 with series secondaries measuring 260Vac. The B+ measurement test pad measures 350V. This seemed kind of high given the documentation frequently mentions B+ and 300V in the same sentence.

I've finally realized that the B+ test point is before the R12 resistors after having just changed them to higher values to lower B+ but then seeing no result.

The voltage across C5 is now 289V. The Typical Part Value table that I built to references a B+ voltage = 300V and Vac to Rectifiers = 240Vac.

Anyone know where I'm trying to hit 300V, B+ test point or C5?

I've also just emailed this question to Broskie but I've emailed him on a couple other occasions without a response. Don't know if I'm making it through his spam filter or what.

Note: The attached image mentions "Typical Part Values" but this is not the table I was referring to. Will post that table next.

Attachments

• hvps.jpg
    hvps.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 585
sorry if this isn't quite on topic , but I've just received a rev A All In One Octal board hoping to make a White CF variant to use with my Sennheiser HD 650's, there's a packof resistors for R22 saying refer to manual but nowhere in the manual does it mention R22 or configuring it as anything but a line amp. I'm beggining to suspect the sheets inside the cover are for a non rev A guide, ultrachrome does your guide mention R22 at all?

sorry if this isn't quite on topic , but I've just received a rev A All In One Octal board hoping to make a White CF variant to use with my Sennheiser HD 650's, there's a packof resistors for R22 saying refer to manual but nowhere in the manual does it mention R22 or configuring it as anything but a line amp. I'm beggining to suspect the sheets inside the cover are for a non rev A guide, ultrachrome does your guide mention R22 at all?

also, there are 2 capacitors - c23, marked "optional" which are not mentioned. Any idea what these are for? the amp seems to work fine without r22 and c23.
I've emailed Mr. Broskie, but no answer yet.

C23 looks like the C3 in the Stereo Octal board rev C guide and should be at least 470uf when configuring a a HeadPhone amp
although in that guide JB writes
On the other hand, if only 300-ohm headphones are going to be driven,
then the best choice might be to use a 6SN7/12SN7 and both cathode resistors, R8 and
R11, leaving both resistors unbypassed. The output impedance will be higher, but the
distortion will be lower.
hmm maybe I'll just build it as a line amp and see how it drives the Senns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.