60 Watts A Channel 6528A Tube Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2011, 04:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 60 Watts A Channel 6528A Tube Amp

I started this project a few months ago. Wound the transformers and the choke, made the black metal frame so the heavy things won't bend the chassis. I haven't seen much about building amps with 6528A tubes. I have had good luck with them for higher power amps. Maybe someone has comments about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amp1.jpg (338.3 KB, 1328 views)
Old 10th March 2011, 05:26 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My apologies to Kevinkr, I accidentally screwed up his response.

In any case, it's important to note the B+ restrictions (400V), the mandatory warmup before applying B+ (at least 30 seconds), thermal management (there's 30W in heaters alone! See Morgan Jones's solution in his Scrapbook Challenge amp), and getting the load correct.

Kevin said all this better than I did.
Old 10th March 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That's the longest transformer I've ever seen
Old 10th March 2011, 08:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have made a lot of those long ones so it would fit with the others at the same height. Check my website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amp2.jpg (323.7 KB, 1211 views)
Old 11th March 2011, 07:59 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
My apologies to Kevinkr, I accidentally screwed up his response.

In any case, it's important to note the B+ restrictions (400V), the mandatory warmup before applying B+ (at least 30 seconds), thermal management (there's 30W in heaters alone! See Morgan Jones's solution in his Scrapbook Challenge amp), and getting the load correct.

Kevin said all this better than I did.

My response seems to have evaporated, it was indeed #2..

One thing I do remember mentioning is that the plate curves look rather similar to the 6AS7G which has a rather wide swing in transconductance across its plate curves, meaning it is not very linear, should be OK in PP, but may not be the greatest choice for an SE amplifier. (look at how the distance between curves varies across the range)

I believe both VTV and Glass Audio (or one of its compendiums) featured amplifiers based on 6528s.

Here's the link I originally posted: www.radiolamp.su/pdf/115/6/6528.pdf

Last edited by kevinkr; 11th March 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 15th March 2011, 08:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Rectifier filter board. I think almost all series pass tubes have similar curves, 6080, 6AS7, 6528A, and 6336A and B, which I built a 120 watts a channel amp with. I have never made any amps with delayed B+ except the one I used TV damper diodes 6CT3. All of the amps I made are still going with no problems for 8 years. SE I would use delay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSTA.jpg (337.7 KB, 1069 views)
Old 24th June 2011, 05:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I just finished this amp using the 6528 tubes, 2 per channel push pull. It didn't work. Single tube works fine, but just paralleling the 2 triodes caused it to oscillate at a very high frequency. Finally I crossed connected the triodes in each tube and that works fine. Anybody know why this happened?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ques.jpg (42.7 KB, 960 views)
Old 24th June 2011, 06:02 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

See my post in the 6528 se thread.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:29 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooeywuffle View Post
I just finished this amp using the 6528 tubes, 2 per channel push pull. It didn't work. Single tube works fine, but just paralleling the 2 triodes caused it to oscillate at a very high frequency. Finally I crossed connected the triodes in each tube and that works fine. Anybody know why this happened?
Where oh where have your grid-stoppers gone, oh where oh where can they be?
Seriously there is no reason I can think of why the connection approach taken shouldn't be completely agnostic, and I am assuming as drawn that you didn't use grid stopper resistors.. These are a must with relatively high transconductance types as they will otherwise oscillate and usually at inconveniently high frequencies where it isn't always obvious.

SY's comments about inadvertent neutralization in the 6528SE thread are probably relevant. Anyway installing 1K stopper resistors right at the grids should kill it.
Old 24th June 2011, 10:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think they were eaten by snakes! The cross thing would tend to neutralize it capacitance wise. The first amp I made using one tube per side didn't do it. Neither did the big one using paralleled 6336.
T.E.C. TRIODE AMPS

If brute force doesn't work, your not using enough of it!

Hide this!Advertise here!