• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Stripping Edcor's powder coating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In case anyone is interested, Edcor's powder coating comes off relatively easy with conventional paint stripper. Just about falls off, actually.

I used Klean-Strip KS-3 stripper.........

Attachments

• naked Edcors.jpg
    naked Edcors.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 586
Greetings,
Do you have any suggestions on repainting? Painting is definitely not my forte.

Thanks,
Ray

I've been bead-blasting the gloss off of the blue powder coat and using satin black rustoleum. My last project used hammertone paint, and looks good.

These ended up stripped because I initially painted them champagne silver but didn't like it. When I stripped off the silver, the blue came off too.

Use a light coat of primer first if you go down to bare metal; as they begin to rust in about 10 minutes after they are stripped.

I don't know about the Edcor blue, but if I get a set of old transformers where the paint is all messed up, a few passes with a wire wheel in a drill press takes the paint right off to the bare metal, no chemicals needed. I then prime and paint my color of choice. Cast-iron grey metal flake engine enamel looks pretty good, and it's tough stuff. For an example, check out my "Kingfisher" thread in tubes. The engine enamel and automotive touch-up paint seem to like about an hour in an oven at ~200F to set them up.

FWIW, I've had a local powder coater bead blast and spray a couple of sets of transformer end bells for less money than a couple of cans of Hammerite texture paint. Maybe I got an especially good deal 'cause our commercial millwork installations also include a lot of steel and aluminum metal work, and he gets all our business.

I quite like the look of one called Copper Vein.

These are not Edcor iron, but the before and after gives the general idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 551
FWIW, I've had a local powder coater bead blast and spray a couple of sets of transformer end bells for less money than a couple of cans of Hammerite texture paint. Maybe I got an especially good deal 'cause our commercial millwork installations also include a lot of steel and aluminum metal work, and he gets all our business.

I quite like the look of one called Copper Vein.

These are not Edcor iron, but the before and after gives the general idea.

Chris,

Have you considered using an APTS coating to match your speakers?

"There's nothing, absolutely nothing in this world, that says diy like APTS!"

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Chris,

Have you considered using an APTS coating to match your speakers?

"There's nothing, absolutely nothing in this world, that says diy like APTS!"

Best Regards,
TerryO

well, since after even years of practice I've not been able to approach the caliber of your work with this material, I'll restrict my use to patching small dents and other oopsies before applying veneer (a lazy man's way to avoid painting)

I have used a wire wheel on a bench grinder. Some of the older iron has something alomst like tar on them. It is tough to get off, but worth the effort. I have great success with satin black rustoleum as well. A couple of light coats then I set them aside for about a week to cure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.