• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Stripping Edcor's powder coating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FTR, Audio Notes copper stamped bells would look kick *** turning a green or black patina. As they already are leagues above anything else.

Attachments

• 04_output.jpg
    04_output.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 196
Edcor being lazy.

EDCOR Electronics Corporation

Morons. ...

Man... DiyAudio eats it's own. No longer is it good enough to produce high quality goods, paying it's workers reasonably, offering affordable custom services (10 unit minimums to waive the reasonable $40 setup fee), and do it all for what qualifies as cheap. No... they are lazy and morons...

I've read more than one thread wondering why more people don't make products for the DIY crowd. This thread is your answer.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Well, if you do 90 percent of the work right why not do it completely right? It doesn't take much effort. I dont think Edcor are morons, but to suggest we want pink transformers when there's no black option and 90 percent of the chassis are black or silver is a bit moronic. Still, I sounded rude. Apologies.

Man... DiyAudio eats it's own. No longer is it good enough to produce high quality goods, paying it's workers reasonably, offering affordable custom services (10 unit minimums to waive the reasonable $40 setup fee), and do it all for what qualifies as cheap. No... they are lazy and morons...

I've read more than one thread wondering why more people don't make products for the DIY crowd. This thread is your answer.

Exactly right. There are a lot of people here that evidently can't, or refuse to, acknowledge economic reality. But they think we're the morons?

Best Regards,
TerryO

Personally, it's not the color I mind so much as the rather tacky logo, which I've never been close enough to detect wasn't paint as well.

If I was ever to order iron from Edcor, I'd just be sure to order a spare set of raw end bells for each, And yeah, I'd probably still get them powder coated - I'm just a sucker for the two tone "vein" finishes, which is not the easiest to achieve with a spray bomb.

:cool::cool::cool:

Only if the endbells are given enough break-in time with the correct selection of frequencies....

:eek: Rundmaus

You're right, it can take several thousand hours of break-in time or music to achieve a satisfactory "End-bell Equilibrium Curve".
Otherwise they will be quite unlistenable to all but the most unsophisticated audiophile.
I'm certainly glad that you brought up this extremely important fact, as it doesn't receive the attention or emphasis that it deserves!

Thank you for your pertinent observation.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Good afternoon everyone,
I'm sure this subject has been beat to death many times over, but I wanted to share my thought process on painting Edcor's unpainted end bells. So here goes....
1) Edcor states their unpainted end bells are covered in oil and need to be cleaned. My thought was to hang them on a coat hangar outside and use brake cleaner to remove the oil and anything else that might be on it.
2) After the break cleaner clean, my next thought was to run them through the dishwasher and when the wash was done blow them off with compressed air.
3) Now the tricky part, should I or should I not prime? I am actually using a can of paint obtained from Chrysler parts. There is nothing on the can about priming, but I am also assuming the can is made for professionals who know what they need to do. So, do I prime?
4) Do I bake afterwards?

Thanks much
Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.