• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

power transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am restoring an ECL82 amp - mullard 4-7 design. Anyway, all the voltages on the transformers check out AOK - in fact exactly as per the mullard schematic, even the windings etc match up perfectly. One thing though, and I know a bunch of the seasoned valve people here will know this....

There is a bare wire coming from the power transformer - its bare all the way back into the windings. Now its not that the insulation has been burnt off or anything. I'm thinking this is a screen on the Tx..... in the original amp it was wired to chassis ground.

Anyway, was hoping to check with you before mounting it up - are there any checks I can do to verify that its a screen?

Fran

From a PE perspective, some transformers have to have a PE screen and chassis earthed - driven by certain safety standard requirements. Reinforced insulation systems typically don't require the core to be bonded to earth. In practise I would agree that grounding the frame is additional insurance against a fault causing the core to go hazardous without you knowing it.

From a non-safety perspective, then the core is somewhat similar to an internal screen, in that its main impact is capacitive coupling and screening, and the mounting becomes the return point for the capacitive currents.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.