• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need recomdations on a lineamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I´m asking because I have the parts and I need a linestage.

I doubt you'd need the gain of the SRPP + the xformer though.

The advantage of the SRPP is reasonable gain with lower Zo than an anode follower.
No point of tacking on a xformer there IMHO unless you'd do it for a different set of reasons.

You could also build a White CF with the 6DJ8s, no gain but very low Zo and plenty of current to drive even the most silly cable lengths.

Cheers,;)

Well, my intention was to use the transformer to lower the gain (and output impedance).

The 6DJ8 would have a gain of about 30 (I guess), and the transformers has a ratio of roughly 3:1 with the secondasies in series. The gain would then be about 10, right? Still a bit high, maybe.
I guess I´d rather go for a choke loaded 12B4A.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Tim,

I was replying to Fuling.

I assumed he doesn't need the same requirements for his line stage...

I'm well aware a 6DJ8 can't dump that kind of current.

Cheers,;)

P.S. While I like the 6AS7G idea for econimical reasons, it can do alot more than asked for...not that that's so bad per se.

fdegrove said:
I was replying to Fuling.

I assumed he doesn't need the same requirements for his line stage...

Oh, didn't notice he needed one too..

P.S. While I like the 6AS7G idea for econimical reasons, it can do alot more than asked for...not that that's so bad per se.

Well if you want to get down to it, a 6C4 can easily do a half watt, but nobody's going to go that route, eh? (Well, if it weren't for the 40k OPT, I would. ;) )

Tim

Fuling said:
What about a 6DJ8 SRPP cap coupled to a 230/2x33V 15VA toroid?

i second the toroid option... and am I the only one who read that this guy is going balanced???

you don't need the cap, just get a 120+120:33+33 power trannie and load a differential pair of 6C45's

the PS can be another 120+120:33+33 trannie into a bridge and a clc filter to get anywhere from 150-220V.

to keep well under the $300 price a surplus toroid will work and you can add your own secondaries.

dave

Afraid not

mu of the 6336 is 2.75 while the 6528 has a mu of 9 since this was for a line amp I thought gain would be important as well as output current. Either tube will supply enough current it's a matter of how many stages of amplification you want to use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.