• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EML 300B-XLS Schematic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to build a tube amp round a 3ooB triode, but since I come from a solid state amplifier, I have expensive speakers but not the most sensitive in the world with 89db. Using 1 300B end tube might be a bit low in power to drive them, I looked at 300B schematics in Parallel SE configuration, but given the price of 2 JJ 300B's for instance, I would prefer to use the Emission Labs 300BXLS in a single SE configuration. But I can't really find schematics using this tube in its higher output configuration. Does anyone have a schematic for this tube in the non conventional 300B setup? I would prefer RC coupled, no interstage transformer, I 'd rather pay the price of a transformer to a good copper or silver in oil cap by Mundorf or Audio Note.
I don't really have a preference for the driving tube.
My (DIY) RIAA preamp uses 5755 - 5751 tubes with auricap capacitors, I had it driving the solid state amp before and I'm very pleased with it so I ll keep using that.

kind regards.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
google jacmusic

there are both a SE and PP
but I seem to remember written that the PP amp was designed to put less load on the tube, giving longer life span
but obviously at additional cost, still
surely a fine tube, but obviously live a tough life making twice the output of ordinary 300B
and even worse when its used for tougher loads
obviously that seems to be the way it goes

would be wise to build one with cheaper tubes first
and learn a bit before using those expencive tubes
very expencive tubes to blow up
but its your money
btw, I was close to buying a single tube on sale, just to try my luck
but I backed out, and bought a bunch of cheaper tubes instead

I got PP tube amps i built, its not about the price of the tube, its about the concept, i want a SE and i want more power than 8 watt and i want a Triode preferably the queen of triodes 300B. I built the RIAA amp myself, i built a 807 PP amp myself, i can built an amp, i asked for a schematic around the EML 300BXLS that was all.

"would be wise to build one with cheaper tubes first
and learn a bit before using those expencive tubes
very expencive tubes to blow up"

I revised the Model 532 tube amp of my 8500 euro worth Wurlitzer model 1900 jukebox myself, i repaired several Geloso amps, Several MBLE amps.
I do not see why i ll be blowing up EML tubes if you provide me with a decent schematic.
My question was simple, has anybody have a design around the EML 300BXLS tube that brings more than 9 watts, i never said i was going to push it to the limits to bring 23 Watts. Why would i spend 400 quid on transformers using cheaper tubes?? I never asked for advice i asked 1 simple question, a schematic for a 300B-XLS, yes its my money and yes i can afford it, or i wouldn't be running a 4000 euro solid state amp now.
I don't want a push pull for the same reason i don't want an intersage transformer. I want 2nd harmonics not 3rd order.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
hey, theres no need to use that tone with me, please

your starting post said but since I come from a solid state.....
so I got the impression that...

there are two schematics on jacmusic site ? you did not see them, or did not like them ?
http://www.jacmusic.com/kits/index.htm
there may be other on his site
maybe among his customer builds

http://www.triodedick.com/ ATILLA

http://www.dhtrob.com/projecten/tyran_1.shtml

personally I would think about a completely different driver tube

good luck to you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.