• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Amp build recomendation.. for Frazier model sevens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. I wanted to see if anyone has some suggestions for an amp build. Right now im running an old SS Kenwood kr 5150 receiver (50wpc) through my Frazier model sevens (rated 50 rms). Sounds good but I am craving that tube sound. A friend of mine was an electronics engineer in the navy back in tube days (hes an old timer.. im 24) and is going to help me along with the build.

If im going to build an amp myself I WANT THE BEST. I was thinking about building a couple mono blocks modeled after Marantz model 2s @ 40w each.. and a tube pre to go with

Suggestions?? here's some things i want.

Transparency!!
Warmth!! of course
I listen to Rock, Soft Rock, R&B, Blues, and anything guitar driven..

Im willing to tackle any project for the sound.
Thanks

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Well, if you get 100 opinions on which is best, you'll be building at least 70 different amplifiers. I'm not familiar with that Marantz 2s monoblock you mentioned, but if you can get specs on all the parts (particularly its output transformers), and they aren't too unusual, go ahead and build one.

It sounds like as good a best as any.

..Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.