Tektronix TDS714L or other Tek TDS series digital oscilloscope for stereo? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2011, 12:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tektronix TDS714L or other Tek TDS series digital oscilloscope for stereo?

I am looking to buy an oscilloscope. I don't have any experience with them.

What do you guys think of the Tektronix TDS714L digital scope or other Tek digital scope for stereo equipment application?
How do the analog scopes like Tek 2246 or 2465 compare to the Tek TDS714L for stereo equipment application?
Old 28th February 2011, 10:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

All I can say is that for tube audio, you don't really _need_ to shell out $3k on a scope. I'd settle for a simple dual beam analog 'scope.
Old 28th February 2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

As above.
Look for a minimum of 20 to 30mhz bandwidth, dual channel, and choose a model that has a high accelerating voltage for the CRT (10 kv or above to give a bright sharp trace).
Old 28th February 2011, 11:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Are there anything that the Tek digital scope like TDS714L can't do but the analog scope can?

I agree the TEK TDS714L is over kill for audio but I think it would be useful for other things as well.
Old 1st March 2011, 12:57 AM   #5
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manp111 View Post
I am looking to buy an oscilloscope. I don't have any experience with them.

What do you guys think of the Tektronix TDS714L digital scope or other Tek digital scope for stereo equipment application?
How do the analog scopes like Tek 2246 or 2465 compare to the Tek TDS714L for stereo equipment application?
I paid $125 for a dual channel 100Mhz analog Tek scope on eBay. It's overkill for audio but I'm into radio as well. There is some advantage to analog scopes.

I also have a good studio quality audio interface in my iMac and software that can do some analysis on the sound, like FFT and harmonic distortion.
Old 1st March 2011, 01:12 AM   #6
BZed is offline BZed  United States
diyAudio Member

I've worked in electronics for 40+ years and have used most of the Tek scope models at one time or another. For audio signals I would look for one of the older digital models that work dual mode. That is they work as an analog scope most of the time but have digital storage mode. With a straight digital scope it is very easy to miss some of the fast rise time events that can occur faster that the sampling time of the sweep rate you are using.

Thats not to say I don't use digital scopes, I do. It's just that you need to look at the signal at several different sweep rates to make sure your not missing things. Some of the other features like FFT and wave form capture can be very usefull. If you want these other features then go for it. If you want a simple trouble shooting tool then go for the analog scope.

BZ
Old 1st March 2011, 07:17 AM   #7
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The shots here were taken with my analogue scope,
The best sounding audio integrated opamps

My thoughts are as per BZed's above. Scope I use is shown in post #1026

It's a bit like comparing a digital camera and film. The digital one won't show the finest detail when you zoom in, the analogue lets you winkle out what's there limited only by the trace thickness and noise.
Old 1st March 2011, 07:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you guys for the input
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:55 PM   #9
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I absolutely love my TEK 2465B. 4 channels, 500 MHz. I picked it out of a scrap heap for free and replaced $25 worth of caps in it. Best $25 I've ever spent. The 2465 is an analog scope with some digital functions (cursors and readout). Some of them have a digital storage option.

~Tom
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am actually thinking of getting a 2465/A/B.
Do you think it is worth it to get a 2465B or the other versions would be just as good?

Hide this!Advertise here!