• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Type 40, 12A, 112A(syl)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andy,

although the 12 and 26 seem to be quite similar, if they sound different in your preamp, I'd not necesarily see the cause in the tubes themselves. The 12 has a different filament voltage and current. Might as well be the filament supply which acts differently, or any other surrounding circuit.

I've built a universal linestage which can accept 01A, 12A, 26 and 801A/10Y. I did a public comparison at the Vienna Vibes festival last year. Although there were differences thes ewere mostly based on personal tastes. Some people preferred one tube some another.

For me the 12A was closer to the 26 as both of them to the thoriated filament types which always end up to be my personal preference. One person who had some more time to spend with my linestage even happend to prefer the 12A ... go figure ;)

Best regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Yes, you never really know about listening experiences, though we try to be objective. Personally I listen for vocal and instrumental timbre - but I know some very capable audiophiles that listen for dynamics, total frequency response and soundstage respectively, and optimise their systems accordingly.

Hi-fi can be quite counter-intuitive. You design the "correct" solution and the incorrect solution sounds better. I used 12A as drivers in a PP 2a3 amp - lower plate resistance. I took it out and put in a couple of 26 and it sounded clearly better!! A friend of mine modified a Leak Stereo 20 to take 6N1P into 6N30 phase splitter in the front end. It sounded much better with 6N30 into 6N1P.

Andy

Hi Andy and Thomas,

Thanks for the info and opinion. I won't be building with the 12's or any other dht at present. I asked as I have a few boxes of smaller valves left over from my sale, there are quite a few dht's in them plus indirects like 27,37 and variants plus a few Cardons.
just wondering if there was any point in keeping them.
Cheers,

Peter.

Hi Thomas,

Oh the trials of optimising a circuit! I just spent all evening switching between a 71a and a 31 into a Hammond 126C interstage as the driver stage in my 300b SET.

The 31 sounded lovely. The 71A sounded crap. Opposite of what I expected. Eventually you find good combinations between tubes and iron. Takes time though!!

Andy

Hi Andy,

if there was such a big difference and one of the tube sounded like crap, something is seriously wrong. With the circuit that is, not the tube!

Have you done some measurements? If something sounds like crap that is often very visible on the scope. Those two tubes have different plate resistances. Probably the interstage transformer was ringing with the 71A or had some resonant peaks in the audio band. Such peaks can sound very un pleasant.

Best regards

Thomas

Hi Andy,

especially when you consider a sound as 'thin' or 'fat', it is quite often just a frequency response issue. The ear is easily fooled. A basic frequency response check is the minimum you should do when you build stuff.
Interstage transformers react quite differently when exposed to different driving impedances.

I've seen people trying to 'fix' the sound of a phonostage by swapping different tubes, while the actual problem was a incorrect RIAA EQ.

Get that scope up and running, it is so easy to use and tells you a lot. It might also save you long tedious 'tuning' sessions by helping to spot the issue within minutes.

Best regards

Thomas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.