• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High-End preamplifier with ECC82!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
High-End preamplifier with 12AX7!

Those meassurement are taken without output load. The purpose of this preamplifier is to add a tube coloration to the sound.
If its high-end? ..... I doubt.

Pozdrav
Regards

Zemo! (Helo All!);)
Veruvaj mi ovoj predzasiluvac odlicno sviri,....(bidejki semata e profesionalna ovdeka nemozam da ja prikazam,... najdigo EMITER,...vo nego cel proekt e opisan!)
You're right, the purpose of this amplifier is the oboe sound of even harmonics!:):cheers::up::hphones:
This is the real thing, never boring to listen to, ... but very nice tone (Mouns-Fletcher) so they say, and I also say!
Check and see if I was right ...
Best Regards,

Last edited:
What's not nice about the 6DJ8 ?
smaller than 6SN7, higher gm (~13 for the 6DJ8 compared to ~2.5 for the 6SN7 means about 5 times lower output resistance for a 6DJ8 cathode follower !!) and more linear, especially at lower voltages.
All tubes which are in production again are "nice", especially the 6DJ8, as pointed out above :)
regards

Hello!
I need good sheme (circuit) or project for "High End preamplifier with 6DJ8 (ECC88)"!:worship:
If someone has a scheme or project prayed that I would present here.
Thenks

I used ECC88 in the Heretical preamplifier (on my website) and the ImPasse (in AudioXpress). Neither of those will give you "tube sound" as such, but rather are designed to accurately replicate the input signal.

. . . but rather are designed to accurately replicate the input signal.

On this aspect, this one is the best of the know (and unknow) worlds :D

SourceSel.gif

6DJ8

On this aspect, this one is the best of the know (and unknow) worlds :D

SourceSel.gif

I couldn't find any trace of preamp on above schematic!!!!
Probably, preamp is used to elevate signal level from Tuner or Tape (entree 5) level (order of 300 - 500 mV) (yes, some people still use them on their own satisfaction) to standard sensitivity of power amp (entree ampli)?! Once, such level was of order of 1 to 1,5 Volt. It is usually the same today. Only some manufacturers make and sale power amps with volume control and input selector as "integrated" amps (and they are far from be integrated).
Just one question! What gain should have phono preamp to correctly drive power amp if used with low output MC cartridge and without line level amp??
More than 5000 ?? Whether there is such an amplifier??
Yes, some people still need line level preamp.

6DJ8 (or 6SN7/6CG7) makes good pream used as SRPP or Totem Pole. Just google Bartolomeo Aloia and check his "Preampl. zero feedback" (known also as PST200 when firstly published in 1986). Than make one and spend less time on internet and much more listening your favorite music.

What gain should have phono preamp to correctly drive power amp if used with low output MC cartridge and without line level amp??

Read "His Master's Noise" on this site's articles section for the analysis of that question. It's pretty straightforward to set the RIAA amp gain to give a nominal 2V output (in line with every other modern source).

Read "His Master's Noise" on this site's articles section for the analysis of that question. It's pretty straightforward to set the RIAA amp gain to give a nominal 2V output (in line with every other modern source).

I took just a brief look! Can we speak about a phono preamp with step-up transformer (device)?? That approach is also well known to me! We can also use semiconductor head amp in (conjunction with ) tube phono preamp (trick used in VAIC tube phono preamp) and still call it tube preamp for low level MC cartridge, as they do! I would like to see phono preamp, either solid state or tube, with mentioned gain! In any case, you still will be short with signal level to drive your power amp from tuner or tape recorder, as I am with my Nakamichi or QUAD FM4! They couldn't drive my power amp directly and they are not any exemptions among tuners or tape decks! Unfortunately, I don't own a fortune to buy a Partridge transformer! Can suppose the same for Macedonian guy who started the thread, so why we just don't encourage and help him to build his line level amp???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.