• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

does tube bias drift like silicon devices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Considering using 10 output tubes per channel in an amp build I was wondering if the bias drifts in a tube like it does in a solid state device.
With a bias pot per pair of output tubes the adjustment should be pretty close to where you want it for each two tubes in the output if things do not drift too terribly bad. I know that solid state transistors sometimes need to achieve temperature equilibrium to get an accurate bias setting. Do the tubes act the same way or can you expect the bias to stay put.
I really do not wish to install a servo bias adjustment circuit. However, if needed then so be it.

Tad

Last edited:
tubes don't just do the long warm up offset/operating point drift with temperature - they also "age"/wearout

where Si devices mostly do the same thing for decades once packaging/constrution stresses stabilize after a number of thermal cycles

depending on power level, derating, tubes may need rebiasing several times a year and eventually can't be made to work at all

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.