What are the best pots for less than $50 each? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2011, 09:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What are the best pots for less than $50 each?

I'm designing a high-end Line level preamp that will have four tone controls, balance and volume pots. I'm wondering which pots will do the least damage, and be reliable over time? Probably all 100K audio taper. I'm looking at the new TDK CP600 series (plastic element), the Audio Note pots (might be exactly the same thing), and some Noble pots (carbon element) that are apparently being discontinued. I heard a few bad things about the ALPS pots, so not sure about them. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Use conductive plastic for all but volume. Build a stepped attenuator for that. Plenty of kits and good metal film or SMDs are cheap.You can find kits on Ebay or other sources. BTW I have been using a TKD stepped att. for twenty years and there are none better, but EXPENSIVE! Regards
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:20 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I quite like these:

Click the image to open in full size.

Precision Electronics Corporation: Potentiometers: MIL Style 2RV7 Features

IIRC they were under $40, but I got them through a buddy of mine, so I can't remember who the distributor was.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
The best is a ladder type attenuator with any cheap 5K pot, with PIC and relays on a PCB. I will have some soon, for $50 (made in Israel by an engineer who I respect).

He shipped me some for 600 Ohm, 10 KOhm, and 50KOhm kits. Also, they have 4-input switch using the same micro relays (Japanese).
Old 24th February 2011, 12:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I quite like these:

Click the image to open in full size.

Precision Electronics Corporation: Potentiometers: MIL Style 2RV7 Features

IIRC they were under $40, but I got them through a buddy of mine, so I can't remember who the distributor was.

Yes, Canadian made PEC controls are hard to beat. Great sonics from hot molded Carbon and they are milspec tough. The distributor for PEC is DigiKey. The catalog page is here. Use the log. taper series, KA (mono)/KKA (stereo), as volume controls. Use the linear taper series, RV4N (mono)/KKU (stereo), in tone control circuitry

Hide this!Advertise here!